OpenB3d status?

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/OpenB3d status?

MadJack(Posted 2016) [#1]
So what's the status of OpenB3d?

Is it stable in terms of all the B3d commands being available and rocksteady, or is it still kind of flaky? Will it run on a wide-range of PC rigs or are there problems with some users getting graphics issues crop up?

Are collisions robust?

Is 3d sound working with doppler and falloff effects included?

Is the rendering performance good or merely mediocre? Does it have any internal render batching going on?

And is there a latest version or are multiple people maintaining their own versions? The forums here are confusing in terms of finding the latest and greatest.

angros47(Posted 2016) [#2]
I am still working on it, although Munch at the moment is not updating the wrapper. Last version compiles on Emscripten, too

Almost all Blitz3D graphics commands are supported, with few exceptions (BSP Quake maps, and tweening in RenderWorld) that were rarely used anyway.

It runs on a wide range of PC: I tested it on a 10-years old laptop, getting good performance. On older pc shaders are not supported, but most features are available even on fixed function pipeline. Any pc able to run Blitz3D should be able to run OpenB3D (even if the video card is so old that it doesn't support VBO, OpenB3D should still work)

Collisions are as robust as the original Blitz3D, but dynamic collisions (collision on moving targets) are supported, too

3d sound is not supported, since OpenB3D does only graphic. I'd suggest to use OpenAL for it

Internal batching can be used for sprites, using SpriteRenderMode (Standard batching can be used for normal sprites, or point sprites can be used for particle systems). For larger scenes, an internal Octree manager is available, too.

The last version is the one published on sourceforge. If other people want to do their own version, they have to make every change open source (so I can integrate them in the official version, if they are good)