OpenB3D in a Maxgui canvas

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/OpenB3D in a Maxgui canvas

dynaman(Posted 2016) [#1]
Title hopefully says it all. Is it possible to use OpenB3D in a maxgui canvas? Or even better in a wxmax window of some kind?

I tried using OpenB3D with WxMax but many of the samples bombed out including the picking sample. My guess is that the different mingw version required for each program was the problem.

Kryzon(Posted 2016) [#2]
Hello. I think it will be similar to how MiniB3D can use the graphics context of a MaxGUI OpenGL canvas:
https://github.com/si-design/minib3d/blob/master/examples/maxgui.bmx

WxMax should have some widget\gadget\control that creates an OpenGL canvas:
https://github.com/maxmods/wx.mod/blob/master/samples/glmax2d.bmx#L51
Then you use the same logic as the MiniB3D MaxGUI example.

If you think it's the MinGW version that's causing some problem, try rebuilding all modules (including wxMax and the OpenB3D wrapper module) using the "Rebuild Modules" menu in the IDE, so they're built with the same version.

dynaman(Posted 2016) [#3]
Thanks for the link I'll give it a try.

The problem with wxmax is the different compiler needed to get it to work. When I tried using the WXmax compiler that worked for it the OpenB3d examples bombed out for the most part - anything using createsphere or picking gave out of bounds errors.

markcw(Posted 2016) [#4]
There is a sample in openb3d.mod/examples/minib3d/maxgui.bmx which does this. I'll have a look at wxMax.

markcw(Posted 2016) [#5]
I got wxMax to build but only with Bmx NG (TDM 5.1.0 64 bit) and quick build options off.

I've not much idea how to get Openb3d using wxMax2d though, it's a completely different beast.

Dabhand(Posted 2016) [#6]
Not sure how much work your putting into the entity system... But, mini3D could really do with a AlignToVector function... Last time I checked these things out, that is one function that was sadly missing... Obviously due to the way mini3D works against B3D of old... But it would be nice, that was indeed, a cute little thing to have in the tool box!

EDIT: Poo... Just realized, I put this in the wrong thead! Sowwy

Dabz

markcw(Posted 2016) [#7]
But, mini3D could really do with a AlignToVector function... Last time I checked these things out, that is one function that was sadly missing...

Not sure who you're talking to but Openb3d does have Aligntovector and many others that never got added to Minib3d.

Dabhand(Posted 2016) [#8]

Not sure who you're talking to but Openb3d does have Aligntovector and many others that never got added to Minib3d.

Sorry, I posted this in the wrong thread, it was meant to be in the main thread (Part 4)... Anyway, I never realised there was two wrappers of openB3D, yours and Bruceys, suffice to say, I had bruceys which doesnt include AlignToVector.

Just tried yours... Works a treat... Nice one!

Apologises for the slight confusion there... My fault for not realising! ;)

Dabz