Loading .X Files

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/Loading .X Files

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#1]
This is probably not a big issue but I saw in the what's new txt that X files are supported, I'm just seeing a cube when I try to load a .x model.

Any ideas?

angros47(Posted 2016) [#2]
Either the file is binary, or it's an unsupported version

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#3]
Thanks angros47, what version should I used then? any particular software or tool for the conversion?

angros47(Posted 2016) [#4]
Only version 0302 is supported, and only in text format.

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#5]
Thanks for this angros47, maybe you can recommend a software/tool where I can properly convert it to .X file 0302?

I'm still looking but I did some hack by changing the version to 0302 and it loads ok but the submeshes are out of place and kinda weird.

angros47(Posted 2016) [#6]
I can't recommend a specific tool. You are experiencing those issues because likely the version you are using has some nodes that are not supported in 0302

markcw(Posted 2016) [#7]
The only tool I remember using with 3ds to x files was winconv3ds, a frontend for the command line tool conv3ds found somewhere in the DX SDK, not sure which ones or where you can get it. It also does animations so it's powerful but not user-friendly, so you may want to look for the original readme. From memory I think you always want the -h option or it messes up the hierarchy.

I got winconv3ds from 3drad.com which has died now so I've hosted it on my worklog.

There's another frontend for conv3ds on codeproject too, I haven't tried it but the author says it works well.

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#8]
Awesome munch, I will take both for a spin! :)

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#9]
I have tried it but it still crashes when I load it. :/

markcw(Posted 2016) [#10]
I tried it and it didn't work asking for dlls which probably are in the SDK, it's also a DOS program so has that filename limit. On second thoughts I shouldn't have recommended it.

Any reason you can't use b3d?

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#11]
I think you might be right and just go about using b3d format. The X file also loads really slow and I'm seeing a blank screen while loading the model.