AntiAliasing available only on MaxNG OpenB3D?

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/AntiAliasing available only on MaxNG OpenB3D?

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#1]
Rem
' removed since it was too slow and used the accum buffer
Function AntiAlias( samples:Int )
	TGlobal.AntiAlias( samples )
End Function
EndRem

While I was looking for antialiasing for Openb3d I found this one, so what's the difference with the NG version since it is available?

markcw(Posted 2016) [#2]
If you look in the Openb3d source in b3d.mod/openb3dlib.mod/openb3d/src/functions.cpp you'll see Angros has it disabled, the reason he gave was this.
AntiAlias has been removed, because it was too slow: it rendered the same scene many times, and use the accum buffer (preventing it to be used for other things); also, antialias can be set with apposite flags when configuring openGL context, so a command in OpenB3D was unnecessary.

I replied with this.
Antialias is to remove "jaggies" (technical term - actually the real technical term is called multisampling) but I have never really noticed this myself. Some people have said it is particularly noticable on certain gfx cards, not sure which. Not sure how I would set this up via the context though.

And Angros then gave a solution.
Antialias can also be achieved by using the ARB_multisample extension of OpenGl (the advantage is that, on slow system, it is just not used, so no slow down is experienced)

One other way to do this is to use a post processing blur shader.

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#3]
Thanks munch, so is there an update with the ARB_multisample extension?

markcw(Posted 2016) [#4]
No I haven't tried to add this.

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#5]
Ok thanks anyway for the update. :)