TurnEntity - B3D version

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/TurnEntity - B3D version

Silver_Knee(Posted 2014) [#1]
Hey,

how can I recreate the behaviour of B3D with minib3d? In the release notes is stated that TurnEntity is not implemented like in B3D. But I need a similiar behavior.

Say, i want to create a cone like this:

Graphics3D 800,600,16,2

CreateCamera

Local cone = CreateCone()
PositionEntity cone , 0 , 0 , 10
RotateEntity cone,90,0,0

Repeat
	TurnEntity cone , 0 , 1 , 0

UpdateWorld
	RenderWorld
	Flip 

Until KeyHit(1)
End

This code rolls the cone clockwise. It's counterpart in minib3d (here in BlitzMax) won't.

Framework sidesign.minib3d

SuperStrict

Graphics3D 800,600,16,2
Collisions 1,2,2,2

CreateCamera

Local cone:TMesh = CreateCone()
PositionEntity cone , 0 , 0 , 10
RotateEntity cone,90,0,0

Repeat
	TurnEntity cone , 0 , 1 , 0

UpdateWorld
	RenderWorld
	Flip 

Until KeyHit(KEY_ESCAPE) Or AppTerminate()
End

I have got the rolling cone with assigning a parent and used the rotate pitch 90 in the init code on the parent. But this will not work well with MoveEntity.

I tried the following:
Global tp:TEntity=CreatePivot()

Function TurnEntity_ (entity:TEntity , p# , y# , r#)
	Local op:TEntity = GetParent(entity)
	RotateEntity tp, EntityPitch(entity), EntityYaw(entity), EntityRoll(entity)
	EntityParent entity , tp,True 
	RotateEntity entity, p , y , r
	EntityParent entity , op,True 
End Function

I know this will not be very fast but i need like one object turned like that in the main loop.

But somehow the cone flips after 90 degrees.

Can somebody help me fixing the code?

Greez
Silver_Knee

Silver_Knee(Posted 2014) [#2]
See above.

angros47(Posted 2014) [#3]
The issue you are experiencing is called "gimbal lock", and it's a known issue of the algorithm used to manage rotations in MiniB3D. Blitz3D uses another method, based on quaternions, that is more accurate; you can't just "tweak" the TurnEntity command, you need a new version of it. Years ago user EdzUp wrote an alternate version (that is still somewhere in the code archive), but that version had problems when the entity was turned by 90 degrees, and didn't worked for child entities.

The real solution is to replace the internal formulas with quaternions: user Warner did it in the past, building a modified version that had rotations working like Blitz3D; that fork seems to be abandoned now, but I included the changes he did in OpenB3D, so it has rotations similar to Blitz3D, too.

So, my suggestion is: try replacing MiniB3D with OpenB3D, because in OpenB3D that issue has been fixed.

Krischan(Posted 2014) [#4]
It's a little bit more complex but I think this should do the trick, I use my "Turn" function in my space ship steering and it works like in Blitz3D:

Silver_Knee(Posted 2014) [#5]
Krischan, your function seem to work well. In fact, i want to turn a spaceship as well :)

angros47, changing to OpenB3D is surely the better approach for the future, but for now I'll use the "fix" of Krischan.

Thanks to both of you

Krischan(Posted 2014) [#6]
See it in action here: Asteroid Fields (in the inc/turncam.bmx)