Would going back to Blitz3D be a total downgrade?

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/Would going back to Blitz3D be a total downgrade?

AvestheFox(Posted 2014) [#1]
Dont get me wrong, minib3d is a really nice little add-on for blitz max, but after discovering some of the limitations and that there are some missing functions that I actually need, I've considered shifting my project back to vanilla Blitz3D.

I favor this idea greatly since B3D was my intro into the blitz coding language and its a language I'm more familiar with. Of course I realize some of the drawbacks for doing this such as losing the more advanced features of bMax and the loss of multi-platform support (Mac OSX and Ubuntu, etc) but I see that its still a widely used language and that people are still doing amazing things with it despite it being a dated and somewhat abandoned language.

So I ask you, blitz community... am I wrong for wanting to go back to Blitz3D for my current project?

I still plan to keep an eye on the miniB3D module for future improvements and whatnot, I may even move my project back to it when things get better :)

xlsior(Posted 2014) [#2]
So I ask you, blitz community... am I wrong for wanting to go back to Blitz3D for my current project?

The biggest downside is probably that you'll be shifting back to DirectX 7, which is a lot closer to the end of its shelf-live...

dynaman(Posted 2014) [#3]
You might want to look at switching to something entirely different. Yes that involves more work but MiniB3D is apparently not getting much more in the way of features and B3D is a dead end.

BLaBZ(Posted 2014) [#4]
What features is it missing that you need?

It may not be too challenging to integrate them.

There are always other 3d engines you could use along with blitzMAX.

In terms of capabilities max is significantly better. A lot more modules, and you can structure your code in ways blitz3d can't.

AvestheFox(Posted 2014) [#5]
meshesIntersect would be one of the functions that I used allot in Blitz3D (it may not be as reliable as the other collision functions like the documentation said, but it helped greatly with my projects back in the day)

And well, miniB3D seems to run painfully slow on my lower end netbook which kinda makes my game unplayable. I'm still trying to figure out why its like that. Someone on the forums suggested it could be due to hardware lighting. another suggested it could be boned meshes, which currently my project has neither :P

I've found a workaround for the missing meshesintersect function so I'll continue to work on Blitz Max for now.

Blitz3D may be at a dead end now, but you cant dismiss the fact that some people are still creating some nice software with it. I'm sure you guys have noticed that cool hologram setup that was posted on the front page some time ago.

I really wish B3D would get more love... an upgraded version that supports the latest directX and what not... I know it may never happen, but it would be nice :P I'd pay for the upgrade if it were made.

BLaBZ(Posted 2014) [#6]
I wouldn't use minib3d or B3D collision system at all honestly.

I would use a physics engine like bullet or newton, far more efficient.

angros47(Posted 2014) [#7]
The function meshesIntersect is not available in minib3d, but is available in OpenB3D.

Chapman7(Posted 2014) [#8]
Angros47 whats the word on the shadow issue with OpenB3D and BlitzMax?

angros47(Posted 2014) [#9]
I cannot test, since I don't have BlitzMax on my computer. Last time, I told you to try reducing camera far range, or increasing cull radius of objects. I got no answer from you, so I assumed it worked and didn't investigate more.

Have you tried? Whith what result?

Chapman7(Posted 2014) [#10]
Hey Angros, sorry it took so long to get back to you. It's something with the camera near range. When I set it to .1 there are still shadows but as I move outward, they twitch quite a bit. They twitch less as I go up (.2, .3, etc) and there error is still there all the way to 1. Now after 1, none of the shadows appear at all. Even CameraRange(camera, 1.1, 1000)... the 1.1, makes all the shadows dissapear.

EDIT: I remembered that there were files that had to be modified (and commented out) to even get this to work, so I think before going further, they need addressed.

Angros if I hook you up with BlitzMax, would you be able to work on it? BlitzMax was never completed imo, because Max3D was never finished. OpenB3D however, could finally make the program complete

angros47(Posted 2014) [#11]
That's strange, since the shadow routine does not use the camera near range, it just use camera far range.

Try commenting, in the file shadow.cpp, the line:

VolumeLength=(Cam->range_far-S->Parent->EntityDistance(Cam))/(S->Parent->EntityDistance(Light)+abs(S->Parent->cull_radius));

And see what happens.

Also, in the same file, if you comment out the line:

Global::root_ent->child_list.remove(S->ShadowMesh);

The shadow meshes should become visible, and this could help you debugging the code.

About BlitzMax, since I never purchased it, I fear that using it would be against its license.

Kryzon(Posted 2014) [#12]
He meant that he would buy a license and give it to you.

Chapman7(Posted 2014) [#13]
Kryzon is correct, I would buy it for you. Let me toy around with it a little longer though and see if I can come up with anything

angros47(Posted 2014) [#14]
That's very generous from you, but at the moment I have to decline your offer; OpenB3D for BlitzMax is, in fact, a spin-off of original OpenB3D, that is mainly targeted to FreeBasic.

Thank you, anyway.

feeble1(Posted 2014) [#15]
I have been slowly working the small fixes into Openb3d, but I have yet to resolve the shadow issue.

Chapman7(Posted 2014) [#16]
Feeble can you reupload the mod? the link expired

feeble1(Posted 2014) [#17]
Of course.

http://tempsend.com/BC01F350DD

feeble1(Posted 2014) [#18]
I think the only alteration that I made to this version was the texture fix from the small fixes version of minib3d.

My levels were having the same problems shown here: http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=87020

The textures behave correctly now, but I can only seem to use one texture for a mesh, currently.

If you try to use multiple textures per mesh, then the first texture is applied to any textured surface. I assume that it is a problem with the first texture not being freed, but I have not found an effective solution yet.