Performance Issue [slow]

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/Performance Issue [slow]

AvestheFox(Posted 2014) [#1]
My project runs at a descent speed when its on my main computer back home, but it seems to crawl when its on my Acer Aspire One netbook.

Here's the thing: my project uses very basic low poly models, so its not like I'm trying to render polys in the thousands or anything, In fact, the computer seems to handle even the larger meshes just fine in my 3D editing software... and the textures are mostly 64x64 (low res). So what gives?

Should I maybe upgrade Direct X or something?

Computer Specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N570 @ 1.66GHz 1.67GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 1.00GB
System type: 32-bit OS

feeble1(Posted 2014) [#2]
I have a little netbook as well. The thing that seems most taxing for it is boned animations. There really isn't a lot you can do to speed those up. I would suggest that you try that Openb3d wrapper or use md2 models.

Floyd(Posted 2014) [#3]
I notice you asked about lights in another thread. They can be really slow on low-end graphics hardware.

AvestheFox(Posted 2014) [#4]
I'm using the b3d format because of how easily you can use the getchild and findchild commands with it. I cant seem to do that with md2 format.

as for lights? I'm currently only using just the one. I disabled it and I think it improved the speed just a bit, but not nearly enough. :P

I've just installed the openb3d module and I'm toying with it now. seems pretty cool so far aside from the fact that I have to add a bit more code to everything for it to work properly (example: adding :byte Ptr to all the load commands and being forced to include the 'global' flag at the end of turnentity)I suppose its not too much of a problem, its just a slight bit irritating :P

Still, it does seem to be faster than minib3d, so I shouldnt complain too much