GUI Designer?

BlitzMax Forums/MaxGUI Module/GUI Designer?

zoqfotpik(Posted 2012) [#1]
Is there a GUI designer for MaxGUI? I'm interested in using maxgui for tool coding but I don't want to mess around with programming the GUI elements.

It doesn't appear that there is one, from what I can find. This is an example of what I find to be the primary flaw in BRL products-- the products themselves are extremely competently made and excellent for what they are for, but they tend to be somewhat barebones on the frontend.

You'd think that after all this time there would be one. Maybe I am wrong and there is?

That didn't stop me from buying two BRL products, of course, because the seamless porting and other features of the languages are just so valuable.

Perhaps one option would be for BRL to offer bounties for people who can step up and develop non-core features like this.

Last edited 2012

Zeke(Posted 2012) [#2]
http://jsp.logiczone.de/

matibee(Posted 2012) [#3]
+1 for logiczone.

It's a massive system and I still don't use it to its full potential, but you don't have to. It sure as heck takes the pain out of creating and editing complex forms. I have one form in my app that has 60 to 70 widgets, there's no way I'd be happy manually coding and managing that lot.

Wiebo(Posted 2012) [#4]
http://blitzbasic.com/toolbox/toolbox.php?cat=13

http://code.google.com/p/noisycode/wiki/guide

Last edited 2012

jsp(Posted 2012) [#5]
You'd think that after all this time there would be one. Maybe I am wrong and there is?

Yes there is and it is now already developed over 6 years!
And while it got more and more powerful and thus more complex, everyone can pick just those stuff he needs. A simple form can be created in minutes.

I put a lot of information on the website, but if you have any further question about it, just ask!

Cruis.In(Posted 2012) [#6]
can this be used for games in blitzmax?

jsp(Posted 2012) [#7]
MaxGui uses the controls of the OS which is fine for applications and game editors.
For complete in game GUI's there are better choices like ifsoGUI or CEGUI.

MaxGUI does have a canvas for graphics stuff, which is perfect for windowed games and you can use the menu and some gadget stuff outside for controls if that is enough for your needs.

Cruis.In(Posted 2012) [#8]
right now I am using highgui3. While it is nice and fast, it probably has not been updated for years and will likely never be updated again.

I am running into issues because of lack of documentation. I have to run through the source bmx for HG3 to see some of the functionality and methods/functions it's capable of.

For example right now in an RPG, I'd like to have a window, where the NPC's communicate their "speech" or text. Haven't found anything in highgui where I can generate such scrolling text too.

The textbox code seems to be broken.

Cruis.In(Posted 2012) [#9]
I have seen a lot of people still refer people to highgui3, it still gets high praise from others and me even now.

But I do not think the author is around anymore, and I think there is some functionality it doesn't have since it has not been updated, it is not really complete.

Which leads me to believe I will either have to switch to FryGUI or IFSOGUI.

Chroma(Posted 2013) [#10]
It says http://jsp.logiczone.de/ is "not available".

jsp(Posted 2013) [#11]
Yep, i have mailed my service provider, not sure what kind of problem they have.
In the meantime I mail you the user manuals as a first information.
Have a look or just ask.

jsp(Posted 2013) [#12]
Website is up again!

popcade(Posted 2013) [#13]
Hi, jsp

Any update on Logic Gui?

I've not receive new information of Logic Gui in my mail box for a long while, is it still on development?

BTW, I've using 5.5, still pretty poweful as it seems BMax has stopped updating??

jsp(Posted 2013) [#14]
Hi yoko,
I am still adding or changing stuff, but have developed last year some other applications as main task.
The applications I have done were all fully created in Logic Gui and if I encounter something it is changed. Over time there were now 27 improvements again, just counted, and yeah maybe enough to make another release.
New feature requests were very rare though, probably because most stuff is already available.

The last Logic Gui App was the IconStrip Creator last year which added, I think, easy support for fast Icon-, Anim-Strips and Logic Gui SmartButton Strips (creating and changing). It was not distributed but can be downloaded by all users, just log in and check it out.

And although I am concerned about BMax and MaxGUI updates both are still fine for me at the moment.

When looking at my timetable I suppose the next release can be done mid of May.

Arabia(Posted 2013) [#15]
For the first time since I bought BM a couple of years ago, I decided to have a play with MaxGUI. I stayed away from it because it seemed overly complicated to design forms, didn't bother ever looking for a Form designer.

A day or two ago I decided to see if one was available (stupid me for not doing this previously) and found this page.

Had a look at the Logic GUI site and the product does look amazing, but I'm not doing anything serious enough to warrant buying it.... yet :)

So looking for something free I downloaded GUIde. For the price - Brilliant! Does everything I need for the moment.

Nice work Wiebo