WIP DevilGUI port (Open Source)

BlitzMax Forums/MaxGUI Module/WIP DevilGUI port (Open Source)

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#1]
After viewing the sources of the original DevilGUI and then the structure of MiniB3D and various other modules, I wanted to make a port to BlitzMax. Anyone is welcome to contribute. The download is 100% clean and scanned with Panda Cloud Antivirus Pro 2012. Download .01 version
Please note that it isn't finished and please make your own modifications as you may see fit. Devil GUI deserves to work with BlitzMax. :)

Google Code: https://code.google.com/p/devilgui-blitzmax-port/
SourceForge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/devilguiport/
Direct Link: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/56193888/DevilGUI%20BlitzMax%20Module.zip

Last edited 2012

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2012) [#2]

PLEASE, NO HATING

Thanks for the threatening message on my youtube channel Captain, that made me chuckle. I love you too. :)

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#3]
I love you too. :)

in a sense I erm think... Eeewww!!!!
Lets not mess this thread up okay? ;)
Anyway back on topic, What do you think of my idea?

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2012) [#4]
So, are you going to remove your youtube comment then I wonder?

What do you think of my idea?

Porting the original DevilGUI and then the structure of MiniB3D and various other modules into Blitzmax?

Erm, where do I start.. I guess all I can say is, good luck.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#5]
So, are you going to remove your youtube comment then I wonder?

Yes, As soon as I am able to get on YouTube.

EDIT: Done! :)

Last edited 2012

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#6]
Can now be downloaded in a nice new fancy installer package.
Click to Download
Scanned with Panda Cloud Antivirus Pro 2012. =)

Kryzon(Posted 2012) [#7]
You saying 'it was virus scanned' has no value - not because it's you saying it, but because there's no way to verify your claim.

I think Softpedia has online-virus-checking certificates; if not, try other solutions. Anything but being verbal about it :)

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#8]
Softpedia has online-virus-checking

How do I get them to scan it?

Kryzon(Posted 2012) [#9]
Go to Softpedia dot com, scroll down to the bottom of the homepage, click on the "Submit Program" link.
The rest I have no clue.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#10]
something must be wrong with the forums. I know that was posted longer than 3 hours ago. :/

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#11]
Do I read that right that you want to port DevilGUI into BlitzMax - but on top of MiniB3D?

I tried implementing shadows into MiniB3D and failed. You have to know how OpenGL works first, then analyze MiniB3D's structure to embed that into the rendering process (this is also valid for a GUI that sits on top of the 3D rendering).

That's one of the reasons I started my own engine with shadows and GUI, since I thought it was too much hassle to modify MiniB3D to that effect.

But that's just me.

Last edited 2012

skn3(Posted 2012) [#12]
Why not just port it to max2d? It can't be that hard to map the drawing routines across?

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#13]
on top of MiniB3D?

I will try that after I get it working in plain old BlitzMax. :)
Why not just port it to max2d?

I dont know how to use max2d. <embarrassed> ^^

skn3(Posted 2012) [#14]
It's fairly straightforward. I your capable of porting a mod then your capable of readin the max2d docs ;)

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#15]
lol

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#16]
I will try that after I get it working in plain old BlitzMax. :)

I may be wrong... but if I understood that correctly, everything in BlitzMax is OpenGL - even Max2D. Calls to DrawPixmap for example show calls to the OpenGL API.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2012) [#17]
I'd like to give you a short advice about Max2D.
The Max2D module isn't suitable to render heavy featured in-game GUI. It's very OK for game GUI but not something like DevilGui or regular Desktop GUI.
Specially if there is lots of gadgets over multiple windows.

If you like in-game GUI then I recommend CEGUI. It's currently the fastest and most featured one available for BlitzMax (I recommend the rev 783 of the Bah module, through the last version is 7.1 IIRC).

It would be incredibly cool if someone was able to port it to the last 7.7 version. Thanks to the last optimizations, CeGUI is able to render at more than 7.500 FPS moderately populated Interface!

There is a very nice Unified Editor allowing you to skin and create layout easily. One of the plugin let you integrate the Chrome Webkit and you can even script animation and logic via Lua. It's possible to create complex interface like, for example, a grid component filled with many different other gadgets. Don't be fooled by the default ugly skin, there is now a few new one available and anyway you will have to craft your own so...

But again, if you stick to Max2d then don't expect to reach very high FPS with your game running behind. If I should develop my own in-game GUI then I would use plain OpenGL like others suggested.

By the way, I'm currently wondering if it would be interesting to create some kind of community funding to help updating and porting great libraries to BlitzMax if some talented C++ users are interested.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2012) [#18]
Something I did there : http://blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=98265

^^

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#19]
i'm finished although the port is far from being finished. I have decided to let this slide as there are better alternatives already available.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2013) [#20]

This is what it looked like before I quit on it.

Brucey(Posted 2013) [#21]
Why did you give up?

Choice is good, is it not?

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2013) [#22]
Why did you give up?

I lost the source for the version in the screenshot, and there are already several 'better' in-game GUI libs for max available to use. I saw no point in continuing work on this.