TextField(s)

BlitzMax Forums/MaxGUI Module/TextField(s)

matibee(Posted 2012) [#1]
I'd like to process a "Enter key hit" event in a gadgetfilter of a single line text field. Is it even possible because no events arrive for the enter key?

Basically I have linked the text input with bah.muParser to make a simple inline calculator on my forms. eg. the user can type "1234.5678*20" into the text field and upon hitting enter I'd like it to evaluate it. At the moment I'm using a space bar key event which is a bit clumsy.

I'm also looking for the method to set the text field cursor position. When the parser evaluates the input I need to move the caret to the end of the line.

Thanks in advance.

jsp(Posted 2012) [#2]
The way is to have an OK Button which catches the enter key ( as a CANCEL Button catches an ESC).
This button can be hidden if it disturbs the form.

matibee(Posted 2012) [#3]
Thanks jsp. I can see the OK button working. I'll just need to figure out which textfield gadget needs parsing.

Any hints for setting the caret position? I'll dig into the MaxGUI source if it's not available out of the box.

Midimaster(Posted 2012) [#4]
you could use a textarea() gadget. Then you can use the filter feature to react on a KEY=13 input, and after this eliminate it:
SuperStrict
Import MaxGUI.Drivers

Local flags%=WINDOW_DEFAULT|WINDOW_CLIENTCOORDS'|WINDOW_CENTER
Global Window:TGadget= CreateWindow("test ENTER key" , 100 , 100 , 800 , 600 , Null , Flags)
Global Textfield:TGadget=CreateTextArea(100,100,160,20,window)
SetGadgetFilter TextField, Filter, Textfield

While WaitEvent()
Wend

Function filter%(event:TEvent,context:Object)
	Local Key%=event.data
	Select event.id
		Case EVENT_KEYDOWN
			Print "key down="+ key 
			Select Key
				Case 48,49,50,51,52,53,54,55,56,57
					Return 1
				Case 13 
					Return 0
			End Select
		Case EVENT_KEYCHAR
			Print "key char="+ key 
			Select Key
				Case 48,49,50,51,52,53,54,55,56,57
					Return 1
				Case 13 
					DoItNow
					Return 0
			End Select
	End Select
	Return 0
End Function

Function DoItNow()
	Print "ENTER or RETURN pressed!!!"
End Function 

jsp(Posted 2012) [#5]
You can use:
Function ActiveGadget:TGadget()
Returns The gadget if any that currently has the keyboard focus.

and check which gadget had the focus or just read out all textfields you need.
Another approach is to use the GadgetLostFocus event the TextField produces when ... losing the focus (also when tabing from one to another gadget).

Setting the cursor is not possible via MaxGUI maybe via API.
ActivateGadget( TextField ) would select the content and with a single cursor key you are the end of the text but that's all.

matibee(Posted 2012) [#6]
This is fun :)

Midimaster; Your code was exactly my first approach, but no enter key events make it through to the filter function at all. This is because I'm using a single line TextField instead of a TextArea.

jsp; I've already plugged into the lost focus event as you suggest and that works fine.

Well I've mostly got what I want using a TextArea. Now I just need to kill those silly horizontal scrollbars that appear if the input is too long :/

jsp(Posted 2012) [#7]
Something like this:

Function ScrollbarOnOff(TextArea:TGadget,Orientation:Int=SB_HORZ,On:Int=False)
'This hides the scrollbar. Change "SB_VERT" To "SB_HORZ" To hide the horizontal scrollbar.
'Change the last parameter To True To show the scrollbar.

Local hWnd = QueryGadget(textarea, QUERY_HWND)
SendMessageA(hWnd, EM_SHOWSCROLLBAR, Orientation, On)
End Function

Windows only of course...