MaxGUI is a miracle

BlitzMax Forums/MaxGUI Module/MaxGUI is a miracle

JoshK(Posted 2011) [#1]
You guys really cannot appreciate how amazing MaxGUI is until you start poking around Objective C. This library is so underrated, and nothing else out there duplicates its functionality. Thanks again for making this!

Shagwana(Posted 2011) [#2]
I can only but agree on this.

Its a major plus feature of BlitzMax.

jsp(Posted 2011) [#3]
..until you start poking around Objective C

And not only Objective C!!

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2011) [#4]
I think it's only issue for people is that there is no UI builder well no free option that is, a lot of people will be used to VB, Delphi etc which all have detailed build in builders, with maxgui you need to code everything, for people used to GUI coding its like having to go back and code in notepad :)

On the up side tho I love all things max, blitz and BRL so I like it. a free builder option would just be a really good bonus.

Htbaa(Posted 2011) [#5]
Luckily LogicGUI is cheap enough so you get a VB kind of way to design your forms. If you want you can write the full program in it.

JoshK(Posted 2011) [#6]
I think it's only issue for people is that there is no UI builder well no free option that is

People who want something for nothing are not a consideration.

Last edited 2011

skn3(Posted 2011) [#7]
I keep coming back to MAXGUI and it most definitely it is one of the better GUI libs out there that I have tried. It definitely doesn't have teh RAW power of some libs, but the ability to piece together widgets is brilliant. Out of the box maxgui is a little thin with regards to available gadgets but in a couple of hours you can quickly program a custom gadget that should work on all platforms.

I have been working on this in maxgui for the past week. It is starting to look quite respectable. Had to create custom toolbar, property grid and spinner but thats just part of the fun!

Last edited 2011

shinkiro1(Posted 2011) [#8]
I have latley come back to MaxGui because monkey doesn't have a gui lib.
It's absolutely incredible how fast you can create a functional editor (also because the max2D integration is so seamless).

@skn3[ac]
What's the use of your tool? looks great btw :)

Last edited 2011

Grisu(Posted 2011) [#9]
MaxGUI is great!

It's too sad that it's no longer developed actively.

I would pay for an official multi-column listbox for instance. :)

Last edited 2011

skn3(Posted 2011) [#10]
Shinkiro, it is an object editor for an in house monkey engine I am writting for my company! Currently only plan to support texturemaps and animations at the start (pretty much same thing) but I got a nice framework goin to setup new object types and add in new editor screens :D. In future with a different game than the one I am cresting at mo will definitely add in bits like map edit and collision polygon editor!

All with the simplicity of MAXGUI! Oh an brucey's awesome freeimage mod!

I would definitely slap down some change for a cross platform muli-column listbox! My other request would be more built in control for standard gadget paint events and a graphics context for painting gadgets without OpenGL!

Last edited 2011

hub(Posted 2011) [#11]
Max gui was very usefull to create my game editor ! You can include canvas inside panels, ...
multi-column listbox should be very interesting.