Loading Terminal font

BlitzMax Forums/MaxGUI Module/Loading Terminal font

freshmeat(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hi I am trying to load the terminal font so it can show funny characters/ASCII arts. But when i try :

Local font:TGUIFont=LoadGuiFont("Terminal",7)
SetTextAreaFont (MyText10,font)

Why is it not loading terminal font (it did changed to size 7) ?

But when I use RequestFont it loads fine!

I did noticed that the of the font screen shows "Style - OEM/DOS" - there's also japanese and Hangul. Do i need to specify the style to OEM/DOS. In that case, how do i do that ?

DrDeath(Posted 2010) [#2]
I cannot validate this here (running MacOS X, not Windows – I don't have the Terminal font), but I could imagine that it's really the case that "Terminal" as font name is not sufficient. Did you check the font name you get from RequestFont?

freshmeat(Posted 2010) [#3]
Yes. I have checked that the font name is correct through fontname.

Chalky(Posted 2010) [#4]
Could be path related - RequestFont will almost certainly return the full path. Have you tried placing a copy of the font in your program's source folder?

freshmeat(Posted 2010) [#5]
There's no "terminal" font in windows O__O.. I can't seem to find it in C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\....

Ghost Dancer(Posted 2010) [#6]
Since you said it works when you use RequestFont, just find out what name it is returning e.g. Print FontName(RequestFont()) and try using that with LoadGuiFont.

Floyd(Posted 2010) [#7]
The last time I checked, which was many years ago, Windows would never fail when loading a non-existant font. It would simply load some default font with no hint of any error. Is that what's happening here?

DrDeath(Posted 2010) [#8]
I did some Google research and found that you are not alone with this problem. It appears that the usual Terminal font is are rather special case and not usable in other programs. You will have to fall back to additional third party fonts that emulate the Terminal font as good as possible. An option would be the Green Screen font, for instance.

freshmeat(Posted 2010) [#9]
Thanks guys. Yeah I was able to find a terminal font (ASCII) somewhere and it works fine. Just annoying that I can't use the default window terminal font (try it...bet u can't either.... if you can plz give us a yell)