Decent MaxGUI for Mac?

BlitzMax Forums/MaxGUI Module/Decent MaxGUI for Mac?

DrDeath(Posted 2010) [#1]
I'm looking for a visual, mouse driven editor for MaxGUI interfaces. Yeah, I know, "GUI editors are for the weak, rahrahrah...", but handcoding a user interface for a program with more than a few buttons and knobs is just inefficient, slow and simply a pain in the ass.

One of the main prerequisite is that the editor runs under Mac OS X. The only available editor (still actively maintained) I know is Logic GUI, but that only runs under Windows. A trial version (or even better: freeware) would be nice.

Any suggestions?

DrDeath(Posted 2010) [#2]
Damn! That topic title is missing the "Editor" part.

TaskMaster(Posted 2010) [#3]
There is one. I think it is called LogicGUI.

You should be able to find many references to it here.

Grisu(Posted 2010) [#4]
Link: http://jsp.logiczone.de/

Not sure if it comes with a mac editor though.

markcw(Posted 2010) [#5]
There is also GUIde.

DrDeath(Posted 2010) [#6]
*sigh* Taskmaster and Grisu, you didn't really read my post, did you? I explicitly mentioned Logic GUI already.

I didn't know about GUIde, but it seems that it's also not usable on Macs. The provided binary is for Windows and the source code is for Blitz Basic – also not available for Mac.

TaskMaster(Posted 2010) [#7]
You can't run Windows Apps on Mac like Linux can?

shinkiro1(Posted 2010) [#8]
I use this opportunity to promote my very simple Gui editor :D
To warn you first:
I build it just for my own purposes and on Linux although there was someone kind enough to tell me it works on a Mac too. He made this screenshot:

If you are interested you can the get source here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2892658/dev/simple_construct_alpha.zip
(you have to compile the main.bmx file in the root folder of the project)

ima747(Posted 2010) [#9]
That looks great espada! going to give it a shot asap.

[Update]
Haven't gotten to play too much but to get it to compile on make you need to change the
Framework bah.gtkmaxgui
line to
Framework MaxGui.Drivers
This should (in theory) work on windows as well...

shinkiro1(Posted 2010) [#10]
As said before, I have only build it for linux. Under Windows however I had compiling problems: After compiling the debugger pointed me to a type and said something about that it would not exist. I can't remember correctly what it said, has been a while since I worked on this.

There are a number of things that still don't work but for my own purposes it was enough. If you want to change the font open the /scr/init.bmx file and edit the first lines.

EDIT: Btw: Is there a way to detect the font dpi settings (cross platform)?

ima747(Posted 2010) [#11]
There is not a way to detect font sizes, I've specifically looked to try to handle font scaling under windows but no dice. It's a live with it situation :0(

jsp(Posted 2010) [#12]
@DrDeath,
you are right. Logic Gui runs at the moment under windows only. The only workaround would be via VMWare in a virtual environment (tested) or may Parallels (untested, but users said it's ok) on a Mac. Don't know if that would work for you.
And yes Logic Gui is actively developed, version 5.3 is almost ready:)

I know only from MacSven that he once started an editor for the Mac, but haven't heard about it for a while so not sure about the status.

Yeah, I know, "GUI editors are for the weak, rahrahrah...",but

I do absolutely disagree here, not because I made an editor but because there are far more advantages than one thinks and not everything is directly obvious until you worked with one. I would say it the other way round: GUI editors are for the smart... and my user base does prove that, ~80% are professionals or advanced users!

,but handcoding a user interface for a program with more than a few buttons and knobs is just inefficient, slow and simply a pain in the ass.

Yeah, that hits the nail on the head, of course there is even more, one very big problem for example is maintaining a form later when the program you write needs adjustments.

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#13]
There is a Mac version of Wine that will run most Windows programs just fine.

ima747(Posted 2010) [#14]
Wine for mac, just like wine for linux is good enough... somtimes... native is always better, and bmax as a development platform makes multiplatform development pretty easy... certainly easier than getting wine to work just right :0)

Still haven't gotten a chance to really dig into espada's app, but it looks very promising from the cursory glance I gave it... very much feels like a linux app (the floating window moved with the tools window etc.) rather than a native app, but still way better than an interpreted app of any type... for not even having targeted it at being cross platform I'm quite optomistic it could be turned into a very clean option for all 3 target OS's... starting with (imo) the most finicky (linux) usually means the quirks are worked out before you get to the porting process.

Need more time! really want to go digging...

DrDeath(Posted 2010) [#15]
"Yeah, I know, "GUI editors are for the weak, rahrahrah...",but "

I do absolutely disagree here, not because I made an editor but because there are far more advantages than one thinks and not everything is directly obvious until you worked with one. I would say it the other way round: GUI editors are for the smart... and my user base does prove that, ~80% are professionals or advanced users!

My point exactly. But I have received that snarky remark in one form or the other more than once (here and in other forums).

As has been mentioned, yes, you can. Fully fledged VMs are an option as are compatibility programs like Wine or its commercial brother, CrossOver. Anyway, I would prefer a fully native editor.

Espada's editor looks promising, though. I have to check this out.

Corum(Posted 2010) [#16]
http://www.virtualbox.org/
Why people don't mention this one?
It's good enough, and it's free.