Handle windows font scale?

BlitzMax Forums/MaxGUI Module/Handle windows font scale?

ima747(Posted 2010) [#1]
Is there a way to detect or disable windows font scaling?
My app looks fine on mac, and windows with default scale, but a lot of the systems it runs on have scaling set to at least large which makes all the label text oversized and all the alignment and layout work gets all messed up...

John G(Posted 2010) [#2]
Yes, I've noticed this interaction. All my buttons move down slightly when Appearance Font Size is set to Large or Very Large. WinXP.

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#3]
all the alignment and layout work gets all messed up

To be expected when you use a fixed layout.
Fortunately you don't have to worry about localisation too :-)

SebHoll(Posted 2010) [#4]
To be expected when you use a fixed layout.

Unfortunately, true.

Fortunately you don't have to worry about localisation too :-)

Woah, woah, woah, Brucey boy! MaxGUI has supported localisation for almost a year now. :-)

@ima747: In answer to your question, I had a quick look but I can't see a way to do this (and a part of me isn't surprised Microsoft would let you disable the user accessibility feature).

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#5]
Woah, woah, woah, Brucey boy! MaxGUI has supported localisation for almost a year now.

I know. I meant that if they were making a localised application they'd find themselves in more trouble using a fixed layout.

SebHoll(Posted 2010) [#6]
I know. I meant that if they were making a localised application they'd find themselves in more trouble using a fixed layout

Ah, LOL, sorry. Again, unfortunately, true. :P

ima747(Posted 2010) [#7]
Yea, I'm used to those issues on iPhone...

So I guess anyone with font scaling in windows is just SOL unless I re-write the whole thing in wx or something... which I haven't had time to get to compile properly let alone time to switch over to...

Maybe there's a query to the OS that can be done on windows to provide the font scale value? I have no idea how to go about looking that up let alone implementing it... If I know the scaling is 125% I can work around that enough to get things to not get chopped...

jsp(Posted 2010) [#8]
It's some time ago where I worked with this problem and it's not nice, but I saw also that a common layout works quite well from 100 to 125% when adjusted beforehand. Bigger scales may look ugly though. When it chops already below 125% just redo the layout.

John G(Posted 2010) [#9]
After some flaky laptop Win XP testing, I now have a new PC running Win 7 @ full HD (1920x1080).

Win 7 Font/Icon (and other items) Scaling options are now called:
Smaller - 100% (default)
Medium - 125%
Larger - 150%

When I choose Medium (125%), fonts in my MaxGUI windows look like heck. When I choose either Smaller or Larger, the Fonts all look great! The Larger 150% magnification blows up everything proportionately, including the window size, fonts, gadgets, etc.

If 150% works (here at least), why doesn't 125% work similarly?
Has anyone been able to detect (query) these 3 magnification levels?
Cheers

John G(Posted 2010) [#10]
Sorry, didn't test enough possibilities before posting. My smallish dialog windows looked great magnified by 150% on a huge screen.
If I assume a 1024x600 netbook, 150% spills window edges way beyond the available space.

Back to the original question of Win 7 magnification detection. Anyone?

SebHoll(Posted 2010) [#11]
You first need to disable DPI-Virtualization in the application manifest - then maybe take a look at the API and methodologies described here. Other than that, I don't know a lot about it.

ima747(Posted 2010) [#12]
Seems to me there should be some way to refuse scaling since it can cause so many problems for so many programs... Or at the very least an easy way to find the scale across all OS's that have scaling... quite annoying.

John G(Posted 2010) [#13]
SebHoll -- thanks for the reply and Link. Better put my boots on!
ima747 -- have not experienced this on Macs, only Windows so far.