Mixed GUI / Non GUI APP

BlitzMax Forums/MaxGUI Module/Mixed GUI / Non GUI APP

matibee(Posted 2009) [#1]
Is it possible to use max gui as a startup menu, then continue running the rest off the app without it? Along the lines of this..

It would at least need someway to destroy the window and gadgets, and break out of the message loop. If there's no simple way to do this I'll happily move on and forget I ever asked ;)

Thanks
Matt

matibee(Posted 2009) [#2]
Wow, that was simple :)

Are there any issues with doing this I should be aware of?

Thanks again,
Matt

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#3]
Are there any issues with doing this I should be aware of?

Don't think so, shouldn't be a problem.

matibee(Posted 2009) [#4]
Excellent, thanks xlsior. I didn't know if this was acceptable or a bit hackish :)

Ked(Posted 2009) [#5]
Nope. You're just using two modules together.

Kev(Posted 2009) [#6]
the only problem i see is if you was to show the window again you would have no events, the way i would do it is in a function i would create the function like a mini gui complete with window/gadget creation when its called handle events then when its time to leave destroy them.

athough this may not be a problem if your never going to show the window again, but if its the case you should clean up your windows/gadgets

matibee(Posted 2009) [#7]
the only problem i see is if you was to show the window again you would have no events, the way i would do it is in a function i would create the function like a mini gui complete with window/gadget creation when its called handle events then when its time to leave destroy them.

That's exactly how it ended up Kev. Not really because I wanted to show the window again, but mainly out of tidiness.

My biggest concern was with the timers and message pumps and not knowing if GUI apps went a different route; maybe without a high performance counter or even locked into a more intensive message pump that would drag performance of the game down (by handling the multitude of messages a GUI app requires, over a plain graphics app).

But thinking about it I suppose that's unfounded due to MaxGUI being just a BMax mod. I just needed to be sure :)

Thanks all.