MaxGUI web browser

BlitzMax Forums/MaxGUI Module/MaxGUI web browser

JoshK(Posted 2009) [#1]
Here's a rough start:

Things I have noticed:

-I don't know if GadgetCopy(), etc. works on HTMLView gadgets.

-There should also be a way to detect enter key presses with editable comboboxes, so you can type an address, press enter, and have it go.

-I don't know if this is supported, but if the API(s) allow you to retrieve the page title of a web page, that would be good. I don't think it's a good idea to open a second stream to download the beginning of an html file and parse the title.

If these issues can be overcome, then I don't see anything else to prevent a web browser made in MaxGUI. I ran my app on my forum and YouTube, and it seems very capable. I would like to write my own so that I can get away from the ugly IE8 interface, and make it easier to save and load bookmarks/favorites.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#2]
Omg... do we really need another browser?

Chrome, Firefox, Safari...

JoshK(Posted 2009) [#3]
They all suck.

sswift(Posted 2009) [#4]
First, you're crazy. :-)

Second, I would assume, that like BlitzPlus, you can use the gadget action event to determine that a character has been entered in the combobox, and if EventData() = 13 then you know they hit return.

If that's not the case, and it doesn't work on textboxes either, then that needs to be fixed asap.

Htbaa(Posted 2009) [#5]
You know it's just using internet explorer for the HtmlView right? That's why your sites just work like they should. Why want to reinvent the wheel?

JoshK(Posted 2009) [#6]
Yes, I know this. The IE8 interface really bugs me and I want to make something with a more standard-looking Windows interface.

Htbaa(Posted 2009) [#7]
IE8 is the new standard-looking Windows interface. Did you see what they did to Office?

Of course, you could use a real browser ;). Do I hear anyone saying FireFox? :-)

skidracer(Posted 2009) [#8]
I love Chrome. Although they are completely wrong moving the close window icon at top right. Mousecleaning your desktop becomes a major drag.

</puns>

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#9]
Even if you put a fancy chassis (MaxGUIEx) around a lame car (IE8). The engine will stay the same.

Chrome?!
I could e-mail Google my HDD and report my activities directly. Would be faster and easier.

Me.32(Posted 2009) [#10]
omg MaxGui browser.... i think nobody wants this browser.
other browsers are still better^^

JoshK(Posted 2009) [#11]
I tried Chrome, but I don't want another "skinned" application with a homemade GUI, and I don't like the way it handles cookies. I am mostly happy with IE, I just don't like how they made the interface all weird.

RGR(Posted 2009) [#12]

Last edited 2012

Ked(Posted 2009) [#13]
But it's based off of IE.

Ew.

RGR(Posted 2009) [#14]

Last edited 2012

JoshK(Posted 2009) [#15]
I like IE. I just don't like the random buttons all over the top of the window and lack of a menu.

joncom2000(Posted 2009) [#16]
I have to say I dont see what everyones problem is with Leadwerks making a webbrowser with Bmax and maxgui, yeah it might use the rendering engine from IE but so do some other webbrowsers, others use webkit etc.

Making it so that it looks and behaves the way you want is fine, sharing it so others who might also like your style of layout is also fine. Noone is making you use it, if your happy with chrome,firefox etc. then use them.

I will be interested to see how bookmarks and history and dealt with and what sort of interface you come up with.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#17]
I dont see what everyones problem is

You've obviously not spent enough time in General Discussion. :-)

Beaker(Posted 2009) [#18]
You could always try one of the many IE wrappers already in existence. I really liked SlimBrowser before I switched to FireFox. It still does some things better than any browser I've ever used.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#19]
I really don't see why so many people appear to have an issue with this -- my personal favorite webbrowser is Avant Browser, which also uses the IE rendering engine.
Still beats the snot out of using actual IE, with the added benefit of being compatible with IE-only features like ActiveX (unlike firefox/chrome/safari)

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#20]
Funny... This topic is circling around to the Anti-MS including a browser issue...

All of these browsers written to use the IE engine, and any app written to use the MaxGUI HTMLView gadget will fail on a version of Windows that does not include IE...

Hmmm, this kinda throws another monkey wrench into the whole monopoly issue.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#21]
Taskmaster: Not true -- Microsoft's "Windows without IE" still contains the IE rendering engine, just not the stand-alone IE front-end -- which means that programs such as these 3rd party browsers will still work.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#22]
RGR,

@_skully ... are you the Queen of England? Or why do you say WE if you mean yourself?

Not the queen of England nope... don't even live there. "We" implies more than just myself... and yes... there are more than just myself that don't need another browser such as my wife ;)

That being said.. it was just a comment... not a decree... freedom of speech and all that jazz