Font rendering on Mac vs PC

BlitzMax Forums/MaxGUI Module/Font rendering on Mac vs PC

sswift(Posted 2009) [#1]
I've been doing some tests, and I was wondering if a Mac user could confirm some stuff.

Global FONT_Label:TGuiFont = LookupGuiFont(GUIFONT_SYSTEM, 7) ' 7 Pixels
Global FONT_Textfield:TGuiFont = LookupGuiFont(GUIFONT_SYSTEM, 9) ' 9 pixels
Global FONT_Panel:TGuiFont = LookupGuiFont(GUIFONT_SYSTEM, 10) ' 10 pixels

On a PC running Windows XP, with font size set to "Normal", for each of those fonts sizes, the point size matches the size in pixels, of a capital letter in that font.

I've read that on a Mac, the point size is always the size in pixels, and some screenshots seem to confirm this.

If that's the case, then if I explicitly specify the point size I want for all my controls then I won't have the problem of text being larger or smaller on labels and textboxes depending on whether I'm on a mac or a PC.

I'd also be interested to know what size a Mac renders an 8pt font at. In Windows XP, the system fonts default to 8pt, but when using the "Classic" view, a different font is used, and it actually renders the font 9 pixels tall, but narrower than the true 9pt version.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#2]
You may be interested in this :

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/AppleHIGuidelines/XHIGIntro/XHIGIntro.html

You probably shouldn't be forcing a specific font size on users. Ideally your UI would scale to fit whatever resolution/fonts they were using.

sswift(Posted 2009) [#3]
BlitzMax does not seem to support that. Not without using that wxMax thing which is way too complicated for my needs. I would need some kind of function which tells me how tall a particular font is in pixels.

I know it's the "right" way to do things, but I simply do not have the luxury of time here to go that route. I need to get this update out in the next 30 days.

sswift(Posted 2009) [#4]

Aesthetic Integrity

Aesthetic integrity means that information is well organized and consistent with principles of good visual design. Your product should look pleasant on the screen, even when viewed for a long time.

Keep graphics simple, and use them only when they truly enhance usability. Don’t overload windows and dialogs with dozens of icons or buttons. Don’t use arbitrary symbols to represent concepts; they may confuse or distract users. The overall layout of your windows and design of user interface elements should reflect the user’s mental model of the task your application performs. See “Reflect the User’s Mental Model” for more information on this concept.

When implementing your user interface, there are many things you can do to ensure high quality. For example:

All icons should be rendered at the highest quality (see “Icons” for extensive guidelines for icon design).

All text should be anti-aliased, which is automatic when you use the standard system fonts (see “Fonts” for more information).

The font size and type should be consistent within a window (see “Text” for more information on the font sizes and styles available to you).

The control size should be consistent within a window—for example, don’t mix small and standard controls (see “Controls” for more information on the controls Mac OS X supplies).

Apple apparently doesn't have a problem with me changing font sizes, so long as I am consistent. :-)

Also, why did you link me to this huge document on apple interface design anyway? What does this have to do with fonts sizes on the Mac vs the PC? If there's some specific passage you want me to read...