Want to create an interactive website

BlitzMax Forums/MaxGUI Module/Want to create an interactive website

jasonmiceli(Posted 2009) [#1]
So - I've used all three versions of Blitz throughout the years, though not recently. I am now interested in creating a website framework and wondering if you would all recommend or DIS-recommend using BlitzMax or BlitzPlus for this purpose. I believe Max is capable of this, but not sure if it's the best approach or not. For simplicity's sake lets say I want to build a framework similar to (though obviously MUCH simpler than) eBay...

Thoughts? Thx.

Warpy(Posted 2009) [#2]
BlitzMax is entirely the wrong tool for this. I'm making a web stack in bmax at the moment, but it's just for my own amusement. Try ruby on rails or django.

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#3]
It depends on the server you will be running. If it is an IIS server, then you will probably be best served to write it in asp.net.

If it is a linux/apache server, then write it in php.

jasonmiceli(Posted 2009) [#4]
Understood - was trying to avoid learning a whole new language. I know Blitz fairly well and so was trying to leverage that experience. Alas, perhaps it's just not possible. Thanks!

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#5]
You can even run BlitzMax-based CGI on Apache with the ClearSilver templating engine.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#6]
Alas, perhaps it's just not possible.

It's possible, but not practical.

- First of all the vast majority of web hsoting companies wouldn't let you run your own 3rd party binaries like blitzmax executables
- Those that do likely charge significantly more than those using just a plain cookie-cutter PHP/ASP server
- Blitzmax isn't geared towards web development, so it would be a LOT more complicated to do fairly basic things that come standard in web languages like PHP and ASP

If you're really determined ot make it work in BlitzMax, you probably can -- but it would be faster to just learn an existing language that's geared to do exactly this, than it is to write all your own stuff from scratch to handle it.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#7]
Pah. Part of the fun, as Warpy himself knows all too well, is pushing BlitzMax into doing tasks that it perhaps isn't obviously suited to.

Although to be honest, I can't think of anything off the top of my head that I've done in BlitzMax which isn't game-oriented...