This is becoming downright irritating

BlitzMax Forums/MaxGUI Module/This is becoming downright irritating

Pineapple(Posted 2009) [#1]
Bug with MaxGUI or not, I have a huge problem.

I extracted the MaxGUI download into the BlitzMax\mod\ directory, and rebuilt documentation. Then, I tried to use the CreateWindow function. Then I got a dandy error saying Tgadget wasn't found, so I crawled the forums and found that I needed to have 'Import MaxGUI.Drivers' at the top of my file. Thinking that I found the problem, I was then outraged when it gave me another error about some line 'import maxgui.maxgui'. So after searching the forums more, I deduced that changing this line in win32maxgui.debug.win32.x86 and win32maxguiex.debug.win32.x86 to 'import maxgui.win32maxgui' would fix it. I did so, and it stopped complaining about that line. Now it's telling me that the type TIconStrip isn't being found and I can find no sensible solution to this issue.

I have BlitzMax 1.3, and haven't gotten this evil module to work since I purchased Max a year ago. Now that it has finally become necessary for a program I want to write, I need to get it fixed.

Even if this is a mistake on my part, there needs to be some easily accessible information someplace to prevent this from occuring for other people in the future. I'm currently running Vista, but it didn't work on my old computer running XP, either.

Htbaa(Posted 2009) [#2]
My MaxGUI stuff all runs with just a 'Import MaxGUI.Drivers'. No need to import other MaxGUI modules unless you need the proxygadgets.

skidracer(Posted 2009) [#3]
Do the examples run?

You may want to double check the original 4 maxgui modules are not still present in your brl.mod folder as this would be something that could cause some confusion. If so, remove and rebuild documentation again (or maybe even better rename blitzmax folder as something else and begin with a clean 1.3 install as).

From the changes you mention I would definitely start with clean unpack of the maxgui modules making sure you end up with 7 .mod folders inside a folder named blitzmax\mod\maxgui.mod (including unfortunately a maxgui.mod folder producing the rather confusing directory name blitzmax\mod\maxgui.mod\maxgui.mod).

Pineapple(Posted 2009) [#4]
I tried several examples and all of the say there's something TIconStrip and points to the line TWin32IconStrip^TIconStrip{ in the file C:/Program Files/BlitzMax/mod/maxgui.mod/win32maxgui.mod/win32maxgui.debug.win32.x86.i.

plash(Posted 2009) [#5]
Rebuild your modules. And I would suggest using the SVN version.

skidracer(Posted 2009) [#6]
Plash, setting up mingw especially under vista and learning significant skills in version control is not something I would expect the average BlitzMax user have to consider.

If there is a problem with Blitzmax1.30 update followed by a Maxgui1.30 update we need to know.

plash(Posted 2009) [#7]
Everyone will eventually come along the need to get something from version control.. I wouldn't say it takes 'significant skills' to use.

I do remember seeing this issue a loong time ago.. it may have been solved by getting the most recent version from svn, but I can't say I remember exactly.

Pineapple(Posted 2009) [#8]
what is the address I would need to update the SVN from?

I am somewhat familiar with SVN, don't worry.

Unless I am mistaken, I also have already set up MinGW on this computer.

plash(Posted 2009) [#9]
It is: http://blitzbasic.com:81/svn/maxgui/dev/maxgui.mod

Also see here: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=76731

Russell(Posted 2009) [#10]
"New from the people who bring you SVN comes a brand new way to clean your eyeballs: Sand Paper!"

Seriously, are they kidding me? I have to set up svn, then a client and then hope everything is entered correctly? This is just a tad more convoluted than necessary...

Why not incorporate SVN/client into the BMax IDE and be done with it, for crying out loud?

Sheesh!

Russell

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#11]
is Russell sswift's new name?

Pineapple(Posted 2009) [#12]
The svn is failing to download, it is reportaing an error that it could not connect to the server. Why?

And by the way, svn is incredibly useful and convenient, and though it may take ten minutes of your day to learn the ropes, I assure you that you will be grateful for this wonderful tool we call svn.

plash(Posted 2009) [#13]
Probably still down because of the site getting hacked.

Pineapple(Posted 2009) [#14]
So how can I obtain a working MaxGUI? Anyone willing to upload it or something? I'm trying to write a program for somebody and it'd be nice if I could finish it before the turn of the century.

SebHoll(Posted 2009) [#15]
So how can I obtain a working MaxGUI? Anyone willing to upload it or something? I'm trying to write a program for somebody and it'd be nice if I could finish it before the turn of the century.

For obvious reasons, the MaxGUI source is not to be distributed outside of the "Product Updates" page. If you would like a copy, drop me an e-mail and I'll zip you up a source-only MaxGUI from my latest working copy.

dmaz(Posted 2009) [#16]
Seriously, are they kidding me? I have to set up svn, then a client and then hope everything is entered correctly?

that's not what "they" said...

Plash, setting up mingw especially under vista and learning significant skills in version control is not something I would expect the average BlitzMax user have to consider

If there is a problem with Blitzmax1.30 update followed by a Maxgui1.30 update we need to know.