Question about a GUI library

BlitzMax Forums/MaxGUI Module/Question about a GUI library

Trader3564(Posted 2008) [#1]
Howdy,

Lets first say i dont mind to pay for a good GUI.

I have ever bougt iGlass of some french guy, but he doesnt keep any of his promisses concerning updates and stuff, and basicly i just bought a work under construction.

As alternative, i am looking for a (obviously better) GUI, that allows you to customize it in terms of changing the looks and feal.

Any suggestions?

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#2]
FryGUI is quite good.

GaryV(Posted 2008) [#3]
Thank you for the heads up about iGlass. I was considering buying it. I have been playing with FryGUI and it is very impressive, so far.

Trader3564(Posted 2008) [#4]
I remember having compared FryGUI and iGlass back then. iGlass (a.f.a.i.k.) IS better than FryGUI. This concerns compatibility, flexibility and preformance.
I couldnt find anything better than iGlass. But i tought maybe there is now (2008)?
I just dont understand why iGlass isn't supported anymore, there just a few things that need to be done, and then its a great package!

tonyg(Posted 2008) [#5]
but he doesnt keep any of his promisses concerning updates and stuff,

Blimey that's the complete opposite to my experience with iGlass.
What promises were not kept? What did you want to be included in any update?

Trader3564(Posted 2008) [#6]
Realy?! i can only be happy if thats true. I will mail him again and see if theres an update with the fixes... maybe things changed over the year.

tonyg(Posted 2008) [#7]
if theres an update with the fixes
Hmmm. What were the problems?

Trader3564(Posted 2008) [#8]
Here... this is the reply i have been getting today...

Hi

There is no update at this time, and i'll stoping my blitz activity during 2009

Regards

So.. when did you buy iGlass? maybe i have had an WIP version.
p.s. i cant remember, excep that i ran into issues, so now i will most likely try it again, and just hope i dont run into issues, if i do ill let you know.

tonyg(Posted 2008) [#9]
I must be missing something.
You bought iGlass recently or a while ago?
You found it has issues. Did you report them? If so how?
I bought IGlass about 3 years ago and it did what I wanted but much of it went unused.
I think this is the comment I am struggling to understand...
but he doesnt keep any of his promisses concerning updates and stuff, and basicly i just bought a work under construction.

What promises? What do you need updating? What issues stop you using it?

Trader3564(Posted 2008) [#10]
Hi tonyg

>> You bought iGlass recently or a while ago?
I bought it in feb 08

>> You found it has issues. Did you report them? If so how?
I made a list, and send it to him

Then he replied, he knew of it, and that some things where missing, but that he is working on a new GUI library, and therefore does not want to waste time updating the iGlass.

>> I bought IGlass about 3 years ago and it did what I wanted but much of it went unused.
You mean, you did not use it??

>> I think this is the comment I am struggling to understand...
So, i find it sad to find out, that there is NO new lib, the old one was not updated, and he even gets out for 2009. I would say i wouldnt have had a problem back then if i got a bit of support.
It is now about 1 year later, nothing much changed, well, more in-activity.
So now i have a GUI lib that is not supported anymore.
Added, i tought it was pretty new but you saying you had it 3 years ago already?

Basicly, the problem with it is that if i release / create a game using an unsupported GUI lib, and there is a problem, i have a problem.

Initialy i made a post for a possible (better / newer / supported) lib for this reason.

But i think iGlass is a very good product, otherwise i wouldnt have bought it in the first place. And since its 1 year ago, i would need to revisit the lib carefully to remember what was the problems.

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#11]
One of the problems using closed-source libs is that you cannot attempt to fix the problems yourself...

Trader3564(Posted 2008) [#12]
Well, a.f.a.k. its open source, hence i could try and fix it myself.... was just wondering if theres anything estblisched arround that is as good as iGlass :)

tonyg(Posted 2008) [#13]
IGlass was the only GUI for a while and did what is said it would quite alright. There were a few hiccups as Bmax changed versions but updates were brought out each time. After a few years Filax dclared the product as 'finished'. There were some comments at the time but nobody raised any issues.
I now either use the GUI stuff from Jake's framewortk or write menus, buttons etc myself.
I don't know of any officially support GUI module.
What functionality do you need?
FryGUI or HighGUI was given a good testing for a football game so do a search and check what it does.
If you post the issues with IGlass here (or in the General Help section)then somebody might have a solution.
If Filax is working on another GUI then I'll start saving.

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#14]
FryGUI or HighGUI was given a good testing for a football game

It was FryGUI, for [a /posts.php?topic=81829]this[/quote]. Seems to work quite well.

I'd have mentioned CEGUI before, but it ain't finished yet, and unlike some, I don't really like to flaunt my own stuff. (probably why they make money and I don't.. hah! ;-)
It's C++ based, so it's very fast, very efficient, and has more features than you'll ever need. No, really. Some of the nice folks around here have been trying it out, and generally give it a good rating. Although it needs lots of documentation adding, and as I already said, there are still some features which still need implementing in the port to BlitzMax.
Anyhoo.. you are probably best sticking with iGlass or FryGUI :-)

tonyg(Posted 2008) [#15]
I believe CEGUI will see off most 'competitors' when available.

Trader3564(Posted 2008) [#16]
Hmm.. CEGUI sounds interesting. When would it be done?

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#17]
When would it be done?

Hah.... when it's done... :-)

GaryV(Posted 2008) [#18]
If Filax is working on another GUI then I'll start saving.
New GUI? I highly doubt it based on his forum posts and reasons for ditching BRL products.