multi-languge support?

BlitzMax Forums/MaxGUI Module/multi-languge support?

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#1]
What precautions would you make before starting to make a multi-language GUI application? (language as-in french and German not Java and C++)

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#2]
Decide (at the start) how you intend to make the app localizable. Because you really don't want to be having to back-fit something half-way through.

There are a few modules available which can help you. The ones I know of first-hand are BaH.Locale, and wx.wxLocale. Obviously the wx module only works with wxMax.

They both use the ISO country codes, and handle more or less the full set of 190+ languages.
BaH.Locale can also show the language names natively - eg. Deutsch for German, etc.

Search the forums for others.

tonyg(Posted 2008) [#3]
Might be worth checking LogicGui and see how Jens does it.

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#4]
thanks for the help

jsp(Posted 2008) [#5]
Thanks tonyg

Here are some infos for multi language support in Logic Gui if not yet found:

> It offers all 190 iso languages and if it's not enough you can add your own.

> You can also spread your application to native speakers and collect from them language files you can import later without the need to type everything again.

> Adding a language in Logic Gui can take place at any time, so you are not limited to define 'something' in advance to be prepared.

> The current form can show whatever language is selected and you can adjust your gadgets to fit all possible variations.

> You can compile your code per language or with all languages together which can be switched during runtime.

May best to check the tutorial video below, if it fit's your needs:
http://jsp.logiczone.de/Videos/MultiLanguage.htm

You can check also the main thread here:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=79550

Or for more info – not only multi language – click on my sig.

Grisu(Posted 2008) [#6]
You can also do it via a simple ini file system.

Btw: Does Logic Gui support non-unicode fonts / languages (like russian, chinese...)?

jsp(Posted 2008) [#7]
You can also do it via a simple ini file system.

Was this a reply to my answer or Jeremy's initial question?
Sure you could use ini files and you could also use a lot of other ways to handle the languages, but I don't think that is a problem. I thought Jeremy was looking for some precautions which may impact the overall making of a multi language application. For instance, different languages have a different text length and you need to take care, that when one switches to another language it still fits inside the gadget. I actually see very often that the German text is cut off. Example: [Create] in English is translated to [Ausloesen] ?? in German, but the gadget fits only the English text size. You often get what was meant [usloese], but it still look ugly when cut of. So, at least the adjustment of the gadgets could take quite some time, checking all possibilities. And what do you do when you decide to add another one...
I think it's also important to be completely free when to add language support, because most focus first on the program and then decide what they need for the gui, but adding multi language support afterwards without any tools could be a real pain.

Btw: Does Logic Gui support non-unicode fonts / languages (like russian, chinese...)?

No, there was not enough demand.

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#8]
No, there was not enough demand.

What's the difference? If you use UTF-8, you pretty much cover most things, including things like cyrillic. Never had any problems with that here.

The only problems one is likely to have is with right-to-left scripts, for which you'd generally need to have the UI itself move around to match.