tabber and text area blues

BlitzMax Forums/MaxGUI Module/tabber and text area blues

Dabhand(Posted 2008) [#1]
Right, I've been buggering away with this for a few days now, and its got me as sick as a parrot

Basically, I want a setup like MaxIDE when it comes to tabbers and text areas... And a little browser tab (Kind of like the Blitz 'Help' tab)

Problem is, that when I open more tabs and text areas, it gets a bit hairy, they dont open in the right order (tabs dont match text area) and when I go to close one, its goes to pot!

Heres the code:-

Its beyond a joke now, so can anyone see what the hell I'm missing?

Tar

Dabz

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#2]
Can you post some code that we can compile?

I get the following error when I try the above:

Building untitled1
Compiling:untitled1.bmx
Compile Error: Identifier 'FormatLine' not found

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#3]
MaxGUI tabbers are exciting because you have to manage them yourself (what's all that about?)

Therefore you might want to implement your own tabber set/unset code to track what gadgets you are hiding and displaying.

Anyhoo, how's about adding this for now in your MENU_OPEN select block :
EnableGadgetItem tabber, CountGadgetItems(tabber)-1

which changes the tabber item to the last one (which is the one you just added the document to.

You will also want to hide the gadget that was previously selected too, of course.

Good luck with MaxGUI :-)

Dabhand(Posted 2008) [#4]
Sorry, me bad! :)

Just delete FormatLine and FormatDocument, these have no bearing on the way the GUI runs Seb me auld fruit! ;)

Dabz

P.S. Will remove them lines now from above!

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#5]
Can you post some code that we can compile?

Compiles and runs fine if you comment out those errors, btw.
<edit> like what dabz said above ;-)

Dabhand(Posted 2008) [#6]
Cheers Brucey... I'll take a peek...

I ruddy hate GUI programming me! :D

Dabz

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#7]
IMHO, you shouldn't be having to manage a tabber like that anyway. It should all be abstracted away so that all you need to do is set a page, and the child for that page is shown.

Different philosophies, I suppose... and each to their own :-)

Dabhand(Posted 2008) [#8]
Yeah, its a bit of a pain... I'll get over it... but GUI always grinds me down... After hard-coding the sodding thing, managing it becomes a chore the bigger it is.

Still, onwards and upwards Brucey mate! :D hehehe

Dabz

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#9]
but GUI always grinds me down

Yeah, but it shouldn't. In reality it is just a means to an end.

Like in VB.. you never really notice the GUI coding - as you are able to concentrate on the main application logic itself. Which is how things should be, I think.

You'll get there in the end, though ;-)

Dabhand(Posted 2008) [#10]
I ended up doing this in C#, using MDI instead... Took 30mins, works a charm! ;)

I should of just used that in the first place really, now to convert the guts of my app from Max to C#! :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help anyway Brucey me auld fruit! ;)

Dabz

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#11]
IMHO, you shouldn't be having to manage a tabber like that anyway. It should all be abstracted away so that all you need to do is set a page, and the child for that page is shown.

I completely agree, but I assume Mark/Skid wanted tabbers to be able to use the same commands as the other list based controls. Also, as the Windows API expects you to do it yourself, and BlitzPlus was originally just for Windows, they probably felt that's how they should leave it.

When MaxGUI came out, and it went cross-platform, all behaviour on other platforms was hacked to behave like BlitzPlus Windows applications.

Still, we can't change it or it would break people's code, wouldn't it Brucey? ;-)

Like in VB.. you never really notice the GUI coding - as you are able to concentrate on the main application logic itself.

How many times?!?!?! "BlitzMax is a games programming language." Hee-hee! The work you are doing with wxWidgets is disproving this, and I'm doing the best I can over here with MaxGUI, but you're right, BlitzMax + MaxGUI isn't quite up to VB 2005 standard yet. :P