Disappointed...

BlitzMax Forums/MaxGUI Module/Disappointed...

Otus(Posted 2008) [#1]
I bought MaxGUI yesterday after having used BlitzMax for a couple of years. Frankly, I'm very disappointed.

I don't find the features that lacking (at least after minimal testing), but the interface seems to be a relic from BlitzPlus times. The interface consists of a single TGadget type and... a lot of functions.

Has anyone made an object oriented wrapper for MaxGUI?

tonyg(Posted 2008) [#2]
Object-Oriented MaxGUI Wrapper

Otus(Posted 2008) [#3]
Thanks, that's *much* more like it. If that was documented, it should be made official.

JaviCervera(Posted 2008) [#4]
What's worse is that, even although it's supposed to be cross-platform, the Linux version does not seem to be on pair. I wrote a tile editor in BlitzMax that, while it works perfectly on Windows and just fine on BlitzMax (some strange things happen on Linux, like when I click on combo boxes, they popup and are instantly closed :S) it does not even run on Linux (when the program starts, it gives an error when creating the menu).

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#5]
the Linux version does not seem to be on pair. I wrote a tile editor in BlitzMax that, while it works perfectly on Windows and just fine on BlitzMax (some strange things happen on Linux, like when I click on combo boxes, they popup and are instantly closed :S) it does not even run on Linux (when the program starts, it gives an error when creating the menu).

I've got to admit the FLTK Linux MaxGUI driver is appalling but it would really help if you can post bug reports with short code examples and steps I can follow to reproduce the error. Perhaps then we can start doing something about it.

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#6]
Perhaps then we can start doing something about it.

Thinking of moving to FLTK 2? :-p

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#7]
Thinking of moving to FLTK 2

Funnily enough, I did look into FLTK 2.0, but it's still in development and has a massive bug list. Plus, there still appears to be the same problems with the lack of a decent HTMLView, or native-feel interface.

I think GTK is the way to go, and I happen to know this really nice guy who's made a GTK driver for the MaxGUI community... ;-)

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#8]
How's about Qt then?

There's about a 70% complete MaxGUI driver done... although of course, since it is a MaxGUI driver, you do away with all the useful features of a GUI toolkit :-p

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#9]
How's about Qt then?

Licensing...

Ahem... So yeah, this guy I know, is the best BlitzMax module programmer and is dying to get his Linux box home so that he can help out even further (if that were possible :-P)....

There's about a 70% complete MaxGUI driver done... although of course, since it is a MaxGUI driver, you do away with all the useful features of a GUI toolkit :-p

Ooohh - that burns, Brucey!!! Sniff, sniff... :-(

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#10]
is dying to get his Linux box home

Hopefully it'll get out of customs in the next couple of weeks... ho hum.

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#11]
ill probably buy maxGUI because it has such good support and it seems things are being fixed and attended to.