How can I identify a textfield just selected?

BlitzMax Forums/MaxGUI Module/How can I identify a textfield just selected?

Abomination(Posted 2008) [#1]
In MAXGui: I know that GadgetLostFocus notifies the leaving of a gadget, but how do I know that the cursor is on a specific textfield, if no changes have been made to the text?

jsp(Posted 2008) [#2]
Function ActiveGadget:TGadget()
Returns The gadget if any that currently has the keyboard focus.
Description Return the currently active Gadget.

Abomination(Posted 2008) [#3]
So selecting a textfield doesn't trigger an event!?
What I wanted to do works fine now; since I used:

Repeat
If PollEvent()
else if ActiveGadget()
endif
forever
instead of:
While WaitEvent()
Wend
Thanx JSP!

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#4]
Ahhh - wouldn't do that if I were you. Your program's CPU usage will max out your processor. I'd use a timer if I was that stuck but even then, it's hardly ideal...

Cardinal rule of application programming: don't check if nothing has changed = don't do something unless an event has happened = always use WaitEvent(). ;-) True, there aren't events (at the moment) which show you this particular thing has changed but even using a timer to check every 100 milliseconds would be better than your current loop which is just wasting billions of CPU cycles.

There may be a few tricks up my sleeve with the current development version of MaxGUI I'm testing - I'll let you know more once it's available on SVN, but it should help you out somewhat...

Btw, when posting code, use the [code ] or [codebox ] tags - see the following page for more info: What are the forum codes?. I've edited your original post to show you how its done... ;-)

Abomination(Posted 2008) [#5]
I knew it was an "ugly" workaround, but I needed something, so I could test the rest of my code.
From your post I take it there is no "clean" solution at the moment. (Until You shake those sleeves) ;)
In the meantime I will have to make sure there is always a gadget selected, so I can keep track of the cursor.
Let's see how this evolves...