Few MaxIDE Tweaks Available Through SVN

BlitzMax Forums/MaxGUI Module/Few MaxIDE Tweaks Available Through SVN

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi,

Just letting everyone know that there is a new test version of MaxIDE available on SVN that simply cleans up the requesters a bit, but also includes the Find in Files functionality (available from the bottom of the Edit menu in the official IDE) that was started but never finished.

Other than that, it is pretty much the same - but those who are on OS X might want to try this out as the requesters are now usable and won't hide behind the main window.

For those who don't know, the MaxIDE source can be checked out with the rest of the src folder from:

http://blitzbasic.com:81/svn/blitzmax/dev/main/src

Regards

Seb

P.S. Obviously you need to have MaxGUI in order to compile it.

degac(Posted 2008) [#2]
Interesing tool...of course I spent half hour to search the 'Find in file tool' before understanding you refer to MaxIDE and not MaxIDE C.E....[and I started going crazy reading 'via SVN' ?!??]
I'm getting older....

GaryV(Posted 2008) [#3]
Thank you bossman!

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#4]
Interesing tool...of course I spent half hour to search the 'Find in file tool' before understanding you refer to MaxIDE and not MaxIDE C.E....[and I started going crazy reading 'via SVN' ?!??]

Yes, I'm intrigued Seb - are you planning to do much more with the official IDE? Fancy contributing to the CE IDE?

As for these specific changes, as with any made to the official IDE I shall be looking to slot them in where appropriate asap...unless of course Seb's got that planned? ;-)

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#5]
Yes, I'm intrigued Seb - are you planning to do much more with the official IDE?

Not really - the main reason I decided to make these minor changes was predominantly because of MaxGUI developments. The official IDE needed to become a bit more robust as far as internal event handling was concerned (e.g. when compiling the IDE with Brucey's GTKMaxGUI module, buttons could be activated simply by moving the mouse over them because the event ID wasn't checked for incoming events - just the source. This was fine when buttons only generated one event but in the future they *may* [no, I'm not hinting at anything] generate more).

Also, the requesters just looked a bit untidy - the gadgets weren't aligned properly/consistently, and the gadget dimensions weren't suitable for all platforms. Also, they didn't work very well on Mac OS X. This update was basically made to fix these issues, to make the official IDE at least usable for first time BlitzMax users.

As for the Find in Files - it was half done already, and I had (up until now) used a separate program (Agent Ransack) to do this. Knowing that investing an hour or so finishing this off would save me many more in the future, I thought it was a worthy thing to finish off while I was at it - trust me, in the last few days it has paid for itself many times over

Rest assured I'm not trying to rival the CE IDE or anything - it was mainly a bug fix release than anything else.

Fancy contributing to the CE IDE?

...unless of course Seb's got that planned?

I would if I had time (and had wondered whether I should set some time aside to hack it in for you) but since jsp has tried to get MaxGUI.Win32MaxGUIEx working with LogicGUI, I'm up to my eyeballs in Win32 API as a result of Vista/XP GUI incompatabilities. Plus, I've got a set of exams coming around soon that I probably should have started revising for weeks ago... Sorry mate. :-(

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#6]
lol - rereading that, I sound a bit rude. My response of 'not really' was in reference to 'are you planning to do much more with the official IDE' as opposed to 'fancy contributing to the CE IDE'. Sorry Mark if it caused offence, have changed original post.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#7]
lol - rereading that, I sound a bit rude. My response of 'not really' was in regards to 'are you planning to do much more with the official IDE' as oppose to 'fancy contributing to the CE IDE'. Sorry Mark if it caused offence, have changed original post.

no worries - only just read it anyway, and I wouldn't take offence anyway - everyone has their own motivations, and I'm not going to throw a wobbly if you did decide to do more with the official IDE.

I would if I had time (and had wondered whether I should set some time aside to hack it in for you) but since jsp has tried to get MaxGUI.Win32MaxGUIEx working with LogicGUI, I'm up to my eyeballs in Win32 API as a result of Vista/XP GUI incompatabilities. Plus, I've got a set of exams coming around soon that I probably should have started revising for weeks ago... Sorry mate. :-(

Again, no worries - I'll hack the code in myself.

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#8]
Is there an easy way to make the window borders smaller again?

They probably were widened to better fit the Vista visual themes, but under XP in classic mode it looks a lot clunkier than the old version did...

Especially in maximized mode, instead of a very thin line on the left side of there screen there's now a much wider/brighter (and thereby visually distracting) bar

It may sound insignificant, but it does make the IDE look less streamlined overall...

One other thing I noticed: recompiling the new IDE source downloaded over SVN did lead to an executable without the blitzmax icon listed in the systemtray and application titlebar -- it just shows the default 'application' icon, instead of the blitzmax 'B'.
I don't seem to remember those disappearing with previous manual recompiles of the IDE?

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#9]
Those changes are due to the use of the new win32 maxgui.drivers module. Go check that thread out (or the comments at the top of the maxide source code) for instructions on how to get them back.

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#10]
Is there an easy way to make the window borders smaller again?

Especially in maximized mode, instead of a very thin line on the left side of there screen there's now a much wider/brighter (and thereby visually distracting) bar

This particular problem isn't - I had made the client area smaller by two pixels. I think it improves the look (atleast on when using XP/Vista themes) but I see what you mean about Windows Classic - this is probably because the tab colour is the same as the window colour so the margin looks a lot bigger. Still, if you use Windows Classic you can change line 5685 from:

client=CreatePanel(2,tooly,ClientWidth(window)-4,ClientHeight(window)-tooly-2,window,0)
...to...

client=CreatePanel(0,tooly,ClientWidth(window),ClientHeight(window)-tooly,window,0)

As for the icons, Mark is right - this is because of the new manifest import in MaxGUI.Win32MaxGUIEx. Comment out the...

Import "xpmanifest.o"
...line from the top of maxgui.mod\win32maxguiex.mod\win32maxguiex.bmx before you compile (not forgetting to Build Modules), and you should get your icons back (although you'll lose XP theming - but it won't make much difference for you as you are using Windows Classic anyway).

QuickSilva(Posted 2008) [#11]
I may try this. Does it cure the problem that is mentioned in this thread? Actually, has anyone ever had this problem as no one replied. I really want to use the default IDE but this problem prevents me from doing so.

Jason.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=76766

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#12]
no worries - only just read it anyway, and I wouldn't take offence anyway - everyone has their own motivations, and I'm not going to throw a wobbly if you did decide to do more with the official IDE.

Still - I know how much work you alone have put into the *community* IDE and realise that you'd appreciate help wherever you can get it. Basically, what I'm trying to see is I really commend and appreciate your efforts for the community. ;-)

QuickSilva:
Does it cure the problem that is mentioned in this thread?

I don't think I've ever seen this problem before.

Can you please post in your original thread the contents of your BlitzMax/docs/html/Modules/commands.txt file in a codebox? I've moved it for now into the BlitzMax Bug Reports forum where it may get more attention.

Grisu(Posted 2008) [#13]
Thanks for this update!