The MaxGUI SVN Advice Thread

BlitzMax Forums/MaxGUI Module/The MaxGUI SVN Advice Thread

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#1]
As a result of the sheer number of posts in the MaxGUI Updates & Enhancements thread concerning correctly acquiring the latest MaxGUI development releases through SVN, Mark T suggested I start a separate sticky thread...

So please post any questions you have concerning MaxGUI and SVN here and we'll do our best to help.

Notice: This thread will be heavily moderated and any useful advice given by posters will be added to these top posts, and then deleted once the original issue has been resolved.

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#2]
Before You Begin:

Please make sure you are using a fully licensed copy of BlitzMax v1.30 (or higher) and have a valid MaxGUI license before you begin.

---

If you are a Linux or Mac OS X user, and are looking for a cross-platform SVN GUI, try RapidSVN which you should be able to download from your distribution's repository browser (e.g. Synaptic Package Manager for Ubuntu).

Seb's 10 Step Guide for MaxGUI SVN'ing on Windows:

Important Note: Vista users have experienced file access problems while accessing MaxGUI via SVN if User Access Control (UAC) is enabled. To disable it, go to the User Accounts section in Control Panel, and choose the Turn User Access Control On or Off option.

Step 1) Download and install Tortoise SVN - this is a Windows Explorer shell extension which adds a tonne of SVN options to a folder's right-click menu which makes SVN super easy to use. I usually don't like these sorts of things as the tend to break or slow-down Windows Explorer, but I haven't experienced these problems yet with TortoiseSVN.

Step 2) Make a new, empty folder inside your BlitzMax\mod folder called maxgui.mod.

Step 3) Right click on this new folder, and select the new SVN Checkout option in the context-menu.

Step 4) Copy and paste the following into the URL of Repository text-box:

http://blitzbasic.com:81/svn/maxgui/dev/maxgui.mod

Step 5) Click "OK" and you should be asked to type in a username and password. Enter your BlitzBasic.com username and password and, again hit "OK".

Step 6) The repository should now start downloading. Once it is finished, you should now have several module folders within you maxgui.mod folder.

After successfully checking out all the files from the MaxGUI SVN, your directory structure should look something like this:

BlitzMax
 - mod
 | + brl.mod
 | - maxgui.mod
 | | + cocoamaxgui.mod
 | | + drivers.mod
 | | + fltkmaxgui.mod
 | | + maxgui.mod
 | | + proxygadgets.mod
 | | + win32maxgui.mod
 | | + win32maxguiex.mod
 | + pub.mod
If your directory structure doesn't resemble that above, then you haven't properly checked out the modules. Post here if you need further help.

Step 7) Remove any old MaxGUI modules from BlitzMax\mod\brl.mod (cocoamaxgui.mod, fltkmaxgui.mod, maxgui.mod and win32maxgui.mod). Those of you who were using the old Axe.Win32MaxGUI will also have to do remove BlitzMax\mod\axe.mod\win32maxgui.mod too.

Step 8) Providing you Windows users have MinGW installed and set-up correctly, the MaxGUI modules can now be compiled. Open MaxIDE and go to Program -> Rebuild All Modules.

Windows Users: If the menu option is disabled or build errors are output, it's likely that MinGW isn't set up properly. For the former, make sure the MinGW environment variable is properly set to the MinGW root installation path, and for the latter, double check that you have added your MinGW bin folder path to the end of your PATH environment variable. Both of these environment variable can be edited by right-clicking My Computer, selecting "Properties", and by clicking the "Environment Variables" button on the "Advanced" tab.

Step 9) Replace any existing MaxGUI module imports in your project with the following line (if you don't have any existing imports, just add it to the very top of your source file, just after any Strict/SuperStrict declarations):

Import MaxGUI.Drivers
Step 10) Compile and run your project, keeping your fingers crossed!

---

Mark Tiffany's Guide for MaxIDE Community Edition Users:

1. Install the svn client and MinGW, and ensure you can run svn at the command line.

2. Download and install the latest CE IDE.

3. Go to the Project Manager and add a project. In the properties, specify it is an SVN project in the dropdown and specify the url as:

http://blitzbasic.com:81/svn/maxgui/dev/maxgui.mod
Put your bb.com userid & pwd, and specify a directory to check out to. Then click check out. When picking a directory, you *could* choose to live dangerously and checkout directly to the modules dir (I do!) by setting the C:\Program Files\BlitzMax\mod\maxgui.mod. If you check out somewhere else, then copy maxgui.mod into the BlitzMax\mod directory.

4. Build Modules.

You can use the svn client at the command line to do the same. But this way, you can grab the latest version simply by right-clicking the project and selecting Update...

Also, here's Mark's post, see the README for instructions: *click*.

---

... or if you prefer the command-line and like using batch files, try....

Jesse's SVN, BlitzMax and Batch Files Tutorial

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#3]
Still no luck?

Make sure you have deleted from BlitzMax\mod\brl.mod the old MaxGUI.mod, CocoaMaxGUI.mod, FLTKMaxGUI.mod and Win32MaxGUI.mod folders. The old and new MaxGUI modules cannot be used simultaneously with each other.

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#4]
Other Common Problems:

Problem: I managed to checkout MaxGUI OK the first time, but when I tried to update the files with SVN, and build modules, BlitzMax throws a compile error:

BlitzMax Application

Compile Error
Expecting expression but encountered '<'

Also, when I look at the file in question, it has the following lines seemingly randomly sprinkled over the code:

<<<<<<< .mine
=======
etc.

Solution: This problem occurs if you have edited the files which your SVN client is trying to update since the last time you checked them out of SVN. It is worried that updating your files will cause you to loose the changes you have made, and so inserts tags into the document to mark where the file has been updated.

The easiest way to ensure you don't get this error, is to delete the files inside your maxgui.mod module folders before updating, or simply don't edit them in the first place.

degac(Posted 2008) [#5]
Question:

I'm running on MacOS X 10.3.9 and I've difficulties to find out svn: it seems to not be present in Xtool...
I've googled for a SVN Client but everytime I found link to program that requires MacOS X10.4 to run.

I've missed something?

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#6]
Oooh, saw this and remembered you were looking for a decent SVN client that runs on 10.3.9 (the one I had only worked from Tiger upwards):

Tigris scPlugin (download)

I think it's like the Mac equivalent of TortoiseSVN (which is definitely a good thing)... Sorry it's a bit late though...

degac(Posted 2008) [#7]
Thanks, already tried it, but I get the same error during installation...I will check on their forum.
Edit: ehm...maybe I should connect the ibook to the net to complete the installation :) [just checked the error logs] ...I will try this night. Thanks again.

T-Light(Posted 2008) [#8]
Hello.

Just installed a fresh version of Vista with sp1. All good so far, no errors installing anything until now.

SVN made it through most of the download then stopped saying it couldn't move a file from one of the directories. Suspected this was a permissions problem and gave full permissions for the maxgui.mod folder. Ran SVN again and it said "Use Cleanup".

So here's my question, where on earth is cleanup? There's nothing in any of the svn dropdowns, any one else have this problem with Vista?

T-Light(Posted 2008) [#9]
Followed the guide to the letter, but there was a problem towards the end of the downloads phase, since then any attempt at using SVN Checkout results in the 'Cleanup' warning and doesn't get any further.

I've just tried transferring the maxgui.mod folder from a max backup, the full dropdown lists are now available but clean up crashes saying it can't remove something in one of the .svn files.

I've already tried deleting the entire directory structure and starting again but it makes no difference, SVN Checkout comes straight up with another "Cleanup warning" on files that don't exist.

T-Light(Posted 2008) [#10]
Everything cured by switching off the UAC again and rebuilding all modules.

Thankyou all :)

ps Seb, it was definitely the UAC causing the problems with the tortoise maxgui installation. The last time I installed the new maxgui was on a Vista system with the UAC off but the same virus software running that I'm running now, so Avast is cleared of all charges on this occasion. Thanks again.

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#11]
ps Seb, it was definitely the UAC causing the problems with the tortoise maxgui installation. The last time I installed the new maxgui was on a Vista system with the UAC off but the same virus software running that I'm running now, so Avast is cleared of all charges on this occasion.

OK - thanks for letting me know. I've added a note about UAC to the original guide, and have cleaned this thread up a bit for other users. I've also changed Build Modules to Rebuild All Modules as per Brucey's recommendation. ;-)

iprice(Posted 2008) [#12]
I've done all of the above, but I'm getting an error message when I use "Import MaxGUI.Drivers" I'm using Max 1.28 and Window XP SP2.

The message states - "Compile Error. Can't find interface for module 'maxgui.drivers'" and in the Output file "Build Error: failed to compile C:/Program Files/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/blitz_app.c
Process complete"

I don't know if MingW is installed properly or if the Rebuild Modules function isn't working (at least it's not greyed out anymore, so something is right).

The MaxGUI downloaded files all appear to be in the right folder (they've all got green ticks on them).

I'm a complete noob to the wonders of MingW and MaxGUI and anything not already compiled, so I've probably buggered it all up somewhere along the line.

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#13]
in the Output file "Build Error: failed to compile C:/Program Files/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/blitz_app.c
Process complete"

OK - that means that you haven't set up MinGW up correctly.

Did you do the following (written at then end of Mark Sibly's MinGW post)?

Finally, make sure to add C:\MinGW\bin (or equivalent) to your system PATH environment variable. This can be done on most versions of windows by right-clicking 'My Computer' and selecting Properties/Advanced/Environment Variables.

Basically, open the "Environment Variables" window as described, and locate the PATH environment variable under "System variables" in the list. Click "Edit" and add onto the end of whatever is there already, ";C:\MinGW\bin" (without quotes, again), and save the changes by clicking OK on the open dialogs.

The "System Variable" list should have the following two variable rows which should read:

System Variables
========================================================
Variable | Value
--------------------------------------------------------
Path     | (What's there at the moment) + ;C:\MinGW\bin
MinGW    | C:\MinGW
========================================================
All the other variables in "System Variables" you should leave as they are.

Now restart the IDE, and try running Rebuild All Modules again.

iprice(Posted 2008) [#14]
That did the trick. MinGW is now installed correctly.

I managed to Rebuild All Modules and the GUI module appears to be updated.

Thankyou for your time and support. :)

Shambler(Posted 2008) [#15]
Builds now for me, thanks guys.

Blueapples(Posted 2008) [#16]
For anyone using the command line version of SVN:

1. Change to the mod directory
2. Enter this command:
svn co http://blitzbasic.com:81/svn/maxgui/dev/maxgui.mod

3. Type your user name & password when prompted.

danvari(Posted 2008) [#17]
hmm, i have a problem: maxgui svn will not compile for me: i did the latest upgrade via svn and now i get the following error in maxide (build modules):

Compiling:fltkglue.cpp
In file included from /home/stephan/BlitzMax/mod/maxgui.mod/fltkmaxgui.mod/FLU/Flu_Combo_Tree.h:20,
                 from /home/stephan/BlitzMax/mod/maxgui.mod/fltkmaxgui.mod/FLU/Flu_File_Chooser.h:30,
                 from /home/stephan/BlitzMax/mod/maxgui.mod/fltkmaxgui.mod/fltkglue.cpp:17:
/home/stephan/BlitzMax/mod/maxgui.mod/fltkmaxgui.mod/FLU/Flu_Tree_Browser.h:349: Fehler: zusätzliche Qualifizierung »Flu_Tree_Browser::« an Element »inside_entry_area«
Build Error: failed to compile /home/stephan/BlitzMax/mod/maxgui.mod/fltkmaxgui.mod/fltkglue.cpp

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#18]
I can't use SVN via batch file (command line) anymore. :(

Where there changes made?

Floyd(Posted 2009) [#19]
A rather substantial change: No more BRL SVN

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#20]
Cheers. We can unsticky this topic then.