Only three mouse buttons?

BlitzMax Forums/MaxGUI Module/Only three mouse buttons?

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#1]
I'm trying to make my app a bit more intuitive by having more stuff done on the mouse, but I can only get EVENT_MOUSEDOWN to register the first three buttons on the mouse. Any reason we couldn't have a few more? I mean I appreciate that Mac mice perhaps only have two or three, but we don't have to use more if we don't want to.

LarsG(Posted 2007) [#2]
I'm not sure that many people have more than 3 buttons on their mice..
I've never had, and I only know a couple of guys who got a "lotsa-buttons" mouse.. (and they use it for gaming)

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#3]
3 Mouse buttons is the maximum the system supports without using DirectInput Device drivers.
At least if I am not totally wrong.

grable(Posted 2007) [#4]
There is support for more than 3 buttons on Windows 2000/XP atleast.
And since BRL no longer supports Win95/98 maybe they should implement it?
Although it could be the Mac standing in the way as you said. hehe

Try this if you REALY need it ;)

in file brl.system\system.win32.c add this to the switch in the function bbSystemEmitOSEvent
#define WM_XBUTTONDOWN	0x020B
#define WM_XBUTTONUP	0x020C
	case WM_XBUTTONDOWN:
		ReleaseCapture();
		id=BBEVENT_MOUSEDOWN;
		data=3 + (short)HIWORD(wp);
		x=(short)LOWORD(lp);
		y=(short)HIWORD(lp);
		break;
	case WM_XBUTTONUP:
		ReleaseCapture();
		id=BBEVENT_MOUSEUP;
		data=3 + (short)HIWORD(wp);
		x=(short)LOWORD(lp);
		y=(short)HIWORD(lp);
		break;

CS_TBL(Posted 2007) [#5]
And since BRL no longer supports Win95/98 maybe they should implement it?

?

From the products page:
Windows Requirements: Windows 98/ME/2000/XP; Hardware OpenGL support recommended; DirectX7 or greater recommended.

Where did BRL state not to be going to support 98 anymore?

grable(Posted 2007) [#6]
Oh, my mistake.
I knew they didnt support Win95 anymore, and since Win98 isnt that much different, well....

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#7]
Many thanks Grable. I'd really like to have support for the fourth and fifth mouse buttons, since I'm the only guy who's ever going to be using this app. It would be great if BMax could do this officially ( if only to save me editing the module every time I syncmods ) but if it is only 2k plus then I guess I can understand why that might not happen for a while.

Impi(Posted 2012) [#8]
Unfortunately I can't get this to work. I changed the file, rebuilded the modul but the additional mouse buttons aren't recognized.

Any hints?

Thanks!