Radio without auto-uncheck

BlitzMax Forums/MaxGUI Module/Radio without auto-uncheck

MrCredo(Posted 2007) [#1]
i want to create many radio-boxes.
at the moment, if i check one, all other radios are autom. unchecked.

YES i could create for each group separate panel - but i don't need this - instead of this i want to "check" and "uncheck" all radios manually (clicking with mouse should also working)

rs22(Posted 2007) [#2]
Use checkboxes?

MrCredo(Posted 2007) [#3]
hm no... i need radios (circles)

TomToad(Posted 2007) [#4]
You need checkboxes. Radios are called that because they only select one thing at a time, like the pushbuttons on an automobile radio. Checkboxes are used for selecting multiple things. The shape has nothing to do with it.
Having radios as circles and checkboxes as squares are for creating consistency with the interface. A user can look at the shape and immediately know how it will behave. Doing something other than the standard is not recommended as it will possibly confuse the end user.
If there is some reason you must have checkboxes as circles instead of squares, then as far as I know, there is no native way to do it in BlitzMAX. You'll probably have to use separate panels like you suggested before or use some other method.

TomToad(Posted 2007) [#5]
After some testing, I have found that my past statement about it not being possible is not true. You have to keep track of which buttons are being clicked and reset them all in the program every time one is clicked. Here is an example:

MrCredo(Posted 2007) [#6]
thanks tom - this seems to work..

i need radio as radio gadget - but without parenting.
my other idea was to disable parent-value of radio-gadget to disable the known effect... but i had no luck

sswift(Posted 2007) [#7]
I think what he's saying is not that he wants to use radio buttons as checkboxes (that would be inconsistent with GUI interfaces) but that he wants multiple groups of radio buttons that behave independently of one another, which is totally acceptable.

I haven't used much of the MaxGUI stuff though so I don't know how you do this or even if you can.