GUI seems to freeze the application in some cases.

BlitzMax Forums/MaxGUI Module/GUI seems to freeze the application in some cases.

Ibmurai(Posted 2007) [#1]
We are developing a game using MaxGUI and GameNet. Whenever a user does certain things with the GUI, the application temporarily halts execution until that certain thing is done. One example is opening a drop down list.

The problem is that we lose the GameNet connection during this time.

In Windows this also happens just by dragging the window, which is not the case in OS X.

We have a feeling that this is an OS specific thing, and not really a BlitzMax thing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

grable(Posted 2007) [#2]
I think its because max runs everything in the application thread on windows,
and macosx probably has a seperate gui thread?

I thought hooks was a way to get around this?

Grisu(Posted 2007) [#3]
In addition: I have also noticed the gui stopping timer events.

Ibmurai(Posted 2007) [#4]
Yeah, now we've tried doing the whole Eventy-Hooky thing, and tried using a timer for the critical stuff (GNet updating and message handling), but the timer event simply does not fire when you, f.e., keep a button pressed. Actually NO events fire during holding a button down, or having a drop down list open, for that sake.

So, is there NO way to make SOMETHING continue running no matter what?

If not, we're sc***ed, and we REALLY hope Mark will do something about this....

IF there is a solution, it would be a really good idea to include it in the documentation or otherwise make sure people are aware of it.

UPDATE: This only happens on mac... Both intel and G4, if that helps... So it's a bug in the OS X implementation?