MAX GUI is great value

BlitzMax Forums/MaxGUI Module/MAX GUI is great value

Boulderdash(Posted 2006) [#1]
I finally managed to purchase MAX-GUI, Spent a couple of days now bashing at it and if anyone if considering purchasing it my comments would be go for it.

Last year I purchased VB.NET and it cost 5 times the amount, (I bin'd it when the UI destroyed my source code a couple of times and it was not recoverable at all. besides I didnt like it, it just sucks, like 10 times more complicated than MAYA.)

Someone posted a comment on max gui being "weakest product" ,but I have found this not to be the case at all, At less than a dollar a command, come on. In fact now I have the best of all worlds, 2d,3d,windows apps.

Its very easy to program and I basically started making stuff straight away and this should give my software the professional look it needs, it took me days to program the old menus and I got slammed by some people for using simulated menu grahics.

Cool now im writting menus and stuff for my 2d emulators.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#2]
Yeah I'll second that, MaxGUI is pretty easy to use plus it is cross-platform which is great, uses the native gadgets/appearance and operates really nice. Using events is pretty cool and then you have a proper front end for your app so nobody would even think to ask what it's written in, if that were ever a issue. Also being able to use proper windows and set them up exactly how you want them is much more liberating than trying to hack into the o/s and force the changes. Properly supported modules like this are great. Looking forward to Max3D too. The only thing I wish you could do is use them in fullscreen mode.

CS_TBL(Posted 2006) [#3]
Not the whole GUI is truly crossplatform tho (yet?), special things like windows with flags=0, and things with canvases tend to go wrong.

But other than that: rite, I wouldn't go back to B+ .. :P

SebHoll(Posted 2006) [#4]
Also, check out Brucey's brilliant GTK.MaxGUI module which works a lot better than the official MaxGUI Linux FLTK one. I wish Simon could find a way to get gadget colours to work on Windows and add more events... But I really like the module for the same reasons as you.

JoshK(Posted 2006) [#5]
Yes, it is a really great product. I'm a pretty demanding user, and MaxGUI has everything you need to write really professional applications.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#6]
Agree with all above
multi column listboxes which hopefully will be added soon is the only thing I'm somehow missing currently.

Beaker(Posted 2006) [#7]
I like it as well. A good balance of simplicity and features for a good price.

Kev(Posted 2006) [#8]
I think the GUI module is a good addition to BlitzMax, As for the price its fair.

Boulderdash(Posted 2006) [#9]
I also would like to reply to the post "nobody would even question what it is written in."

we (registered BMAX people) could infact say that our code is written in PURE X86 machine code if we like,and show the machine code source to prove it, that should shut up spectators that think BASIC is an old interputed (<-LOL) 1980's language.

IN FACT my emulator is running much faster than its C++ variants.

EVERY PROGRAM i make is written in PURE X86 MACHINE CODE since UNLESS INTEL JUST MADE A CPU THAT CAN RUN BASIC!!

*(Posted 2006) [#10]
I agree is an amazing addition to BlitzMax.