MDI Window possible ?

BlitzMax Forums/MaxGUI Module/MDI Window possible ?

sigi(Posted 2006) [#1]
Like the Topic says. :)

SebHoll(Posted 2006) [#2]
Officially
I've asked this question and the answer is always the same: no, because Mac doesn't support them and so MaxGUI would no longer be cross-platform compatible if it were added.

Unofficially
In Windows, you can get an almost working model by specifying a window parent and using the WINDOW_CHILD (BETA) flag while creating the child window.

For best results, lots of people prefer using tabbed applications now rather than MDI, where each document is in its own tab and you can switch between them at the top of the main window...

Seb

sigi(Posted 2006) [#3]
Thank You, trying to do this. (Unofficially) :)

Why not make it possible under Windows only ? I don`t
program for Linux or Mac. On every platform we should be able to have the possibilities to use all features that this platform is giving us. Or i am wrong?

CS_TBL(Posted 2006) [#4]
What about those floating menus from, say, photoshop? Isn't that simply an MDI mechanism? (small windows in the main window with buttons) If it's not, then what is that called?

SebHoll(Posted 2006) [#5]
Technically an MDI is different to floating windows. The way to distinguish them is best with an example...

In Photoshop, if you have multiple images open in the same window, they are each drawn in their own MDI child window. In Windows, you can minimize them and they form boxes in the bottom left corner of the parent window (instead of the taskbar), and they can't leave the main window's drawing area.

On the other hand, child windows (such as Floating Toolbars and Tool Selectors) act almost as separate windows and can leave the confines of the main window. Try it!!!

Well at least that is the behaviour on Windows, I don't know what it is like for Mac version of Photoshop...

Sorry if explanations are unclear, but there is a distinct difference.

Seb