MaxGui fails in Parallels Desktop on Mac OS X

BlitzMax Forums/MaxGUI Module/MaxGui fails in Parallels Desktop on Mac OS X

Winni(Posted 2006) [#1]
Since BlitzMax 1.22, MaxGui no longer seems to work in a Parallels Desktop VM session running Windows XP Pro SP2.

Launching the sliderthing.bmx sample e.g. leads to the following error message:

Unhandled Exception:CreateDevice Failed result=-2147024882

in line

SetGraphics CanvasGraphics(pCanvas)

imagedrop.bmx e.g. now shows the same behaviour.

Versions of BlitzMax before 1.22 ran in virtual machines without that problem.

Grüsse,
W.

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#2]
That looks like broken DirectX drivers, try a SetGraphicsDriver GLMax2DDriver() at the top of your program.

Winni(Posted 2006) [#3]
Hi skidracer,

It no longer crashes when I add the instruction, but it the sample programs sliderthing & imagedrop still won't display any graphics - only white boxes with the size of the pictures, but without the actual picture.

BlitzMax 1.20 worked fine in Parallels.

Thanks,
W.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#4]
There have been some tweaks to the drivers to make them more stable, work with canvas etc.

As parallels goes down to full software emulation (like any VM), thats expected up to some point, as BM needs 3D support ...

Winni(Posted 2006) [#5]
Hi Dreamora,

All of that might be true - but I wonder why BlitzMax would need 3D support in a normal MaxGUI application?

The samples that now don't work anymore are simple GUI apps and they should work in a VM. And I only posted this message because they actually did work with all older BlitzMax versions, and now something seems to be broken.

Ciao,
W.

PS: Regarding your signature, I just can't resist this....
Some "Service Packs and addons" Microsoft sold as major updates and charged for:
DOS3.3->DOS4->DOS5->DOS6->DOS6.22
Win3.0->Win3.1->Win3.11
Win95->Win95OSR2b->Win98->Win98SE->WinMe
WinNT3.1->WinNT3.50->WinNT3.51
WinNT4.0->Win2000->WinXP.
;-)

Brucey(Posted 2006) [#6]
aren't SliderThing and ImageDrop both canvas-based apps, and therefore requires access to the gfx drivers ?

Winni(Posted 2006) [#7]
I don't know how it works. Things would be easier to comprehend if there was some thorough documentation available.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#8]
CreateCanvas -> 3D Support needed as a canvas is a 3D window (Max2D is 3D Based)

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#9]
We don't officially support running BlitzMax under any virtualiazation, where by the sounds of it people are having just as many problems with their GL drivers as their real life counterparts.

Hotcakes(Posted 2006) [#10]
Winni, as has been said, anything connected to Max2D is using a 3D renderer - I don't know about sliderthing, but imagedrop is obviously going to be one of those, also anything with a canvas. 3D apps simply aren't supported in hardware by any VMs, due to it being... either very complicated or impossible =]

I think there was an SDL mod made for Max some time gao, you might want to see if you can get that working with MaxGUI...