[Maxgui] Prevent Screencapturing?

BlitzMax Forums/MaxGUI Module/[Maxgui] Prevent Screencapturing?

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi!

Is there a way to prevent a user to press "print" on the keyboard, so he can copy and paste the screenshot out so easily.

I'm just looking for a way to protect my media a bit... :o)

Thanks, Grisu

kfprimm(Posted 2006) [#2]
poll to see if the print key is pressed and then clear the system clipboard if it is

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2006) [#3]
Erm, impossible! Plain and simply :)

Even if you disable the print screen functionality there's always programs such as fraps will allow you to capture pics and movies of your game.

fredborg(Posted 2006) [#4]
Yep, impossible. If your media is that valuable, just don't include it.

popcade(Posted 2006) [#5]
You can disable PrintScreen key, however some capturer like HyperSnap can use alternative keys and capture DX/DVD surface, almost impossible to prevent it.

Barnabius(Posted 2006) [#6]
Not to mention the option to capture the screen in regular intervals, like for example in Paint Shop Pro. I am afraid once you have your media displayed on the screen there's no way to protect it.

Barney

Genexi2(Posted 2006) [#7]
Not to also mention closing off common window functions/keyboard-shortcuts really, really, ticks off a specific group of users like I.

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#8]
Thanks for the help everyone.

I just have noticed that we gui guys have our own forum.
So my response is that late... :(

JoshK(Posted 2006) [#9]
My DVD drive won't let me capture the screen.

sswift(Posted 2006) [#10]
Leadwerks:
Your DVD drive renders the video using overlays. I don't know how you use them in a program, but basically the program draws a pink color and then the video card shows the video at the right location without actually putting the video into the screen buffer. So it's like one buffer overlaid over another with a green screen to tell where the second buffer should appear. And this second buffer will show through wherever any program displays that pink color.

fredborg(Posted 2006) [#11]
Disabling hardware acceleration let's you grab dvd/video frames. As sswift points out it's drawn entirely in hardware on top of the rest of the graphics, it never enters the 'real' screen buffer, if hardware acceleration is enabled.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2006) [#12]
Fraps can also rip frames from DVD, I have done this frequently. Unfortunately anything that boots on a PC is NOT safe.

Barnabius(Posted 2006) [#13]
Actualy, there is a way of making the media safe even from a screen capture. You just never release the game. If it's installed on your disk (on a machine not connected to the web) only than the greedy public can't get it, no matter what they do. Right?

Whoever steals the media by screencapture will most likely never release anything, anyway...

Barney