MaxGUI Feature Requests

BlitzMax Forums/MaxGUI Module/MaxGUI Feature Requests

fredborg(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi,

These are things I could really, really use in MaxGUI. I'm not sure if any of this is already implemented on MacOS or Linux, but it's not available on Windows:

1 - SetGadgetColor working on Labels. Currently I'm forced to use a pixmap solution, which works, but it looks different and there is little chance of using the same font as the user has chosen for his/her Windows setup.

2 - Return/Enter generating an event on TextFields. No, the OK button is not useful if you have more than one TextField. And a single line option is not available for TextAreas, which means you will always have a horizontal scrollbar.

3 - Tab generating an event on TextFields. Again same reasons as above.

4 - If a TextField or TextArea is active, allow menu shortcuts to be ignored. Currently the keypress is grabbed by the menu event.

5 - Allow ToolTips to be used on buttons and other gadgets!

That's it. I really would like to see these additions, as they limit the usability of the otherwise excellent gui system. Thanks for listening!

Perturbatio(Posted 2006) [#2]
can you not use a panel instead of a pixmap for the first issue?

fredborg(Posted 2006) [#3]
That is what I'm using a panel with a pixmap, the text is drawn to a pixmap :)

Perturbatio(Posted 2006) [#4]
ah. yep. ok.

I need more sleep.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#5]
I can't really think of much in the way of feature requests at this point. Now that bugs affecting me are fixed it seems pretty complete.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2006) [#6]
SetGadgetImage and SetToolTip on all gadgets.

And SetGadgetImage on a gadget includes setting it on a window gadget to set the icon for the window.

fredborg(Posted 2006) [#7]
*bump* Yes, it's cheeky but I need this

Booticus(Posted 2006) [#8]
OT: Fredborg, you still fiddling with clou[d]? (Dont remember where the brackets went around which letter in cloud)
Topic returned to normal control.

fredborg(Posted 2006) [#9]
Hi,

Yes, clou[d] (you got it right) is still in development, but it's currently a secondary priority, as we are hard at work creating the next update for gile[s], which is the reason for these requests.

There are few old screens and videos from clou[d] here: http://www.frecle.net/cloud/

EOF(Posted 2006) [#10]
I could really do with string grids/tables or whatever they are called.
Like this from Visual basic:

I dont know if these are cross-platform but the gadget would need to be able to accept individual gadgets in each cell. Such as combo boxes, spinner gadgets *, formatted text, check boxes, and the likes. Sounds really complicated to implement though.

* Example of 'Spinner gadget':

AramusM(Posted 2006) [#11]
Hi Fredborg,
For issue 2 you posted you could maybe use the SetGadgetFilter command to capture the tab and return presses.

fredborg(Posted 2006) [#12]
Hi,

No, unfortunately it's not that simple. It requires modifying of the source for MaxGUI, which in itself is not a big issue, but every time a new update is available via SyncMods it is overwritten.

The fix is here: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=57075

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#13]
My Top6 list:

1. Listbox with multiple columns
2. Better audio support (streaming of music files)
3. Tooltips on buttons and other gadgets
4. Textfield produces an event on hitting the ENTER key
5. Being able to set the window icon
6. German Umlauts to be key constants "CTRL_Ã"

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#14]
I agree with Fredborg on all his requests. It will allow for more efficient GUIs. A GUI should be useable by keyboard only if needed. The default OK button is a cop-out, imho.

kfprimm(Posted 2006) [#15]
2. Better audio support (streaming of music files)

that's not MaxGUI...

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#16]
Sure it becomes MaxGUI when you code a winamp music player!
All a question of definition... ;)

fredborg(Posted 2006) [#17]
I will take the liberty of bumping this again.

SebHoll(Posted 2006) [#18]
Bumpety, bump, bump.

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#19]
I doubt this bumping will help.

At least it will rise ones post count. :)

Brucey(Posted 2006) [#20]
I posted example code for all three platforms to get fredborg's no 3 (focus loss on textfield/area) working... somewhere in the forums.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2006) [#21]
I doubt this bumping will help.

Possibly not. But this list isn't quite as long as it used to be, and some of the items don't sound too hard for BRL (or for those in the community like Brucey that have the know-how and motivation) to do. I know I've hacked some of the maxgui code to fix bugs in the past and those have eventually made it in. I don't think there's any reason why anything the community produces - so long as it is cross-platform - wouldn't be added. (And no, I'm not going to get into an argument about whether we should be coding for BRL).

Punksmurf(Posted 2006) [#22]
Sure it becomes MaxGUI when you code a winamp music player!

No, it's not. You use the audio module to play music, and the gui module to make windows, buttons and all the rest...

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#23]
Bumping this. I don't know about Fredborg, but I could really use everything he requested still.

The gadget that Jim Brown refers to as a string grid/table would be nice too, but a good deal more complicated than the stuff Fredborg wants, I think. Aside from which, Fredborg's requests are borderline bugs ( the docs already say that labels use colors, but they don't. )

CS_TBL(Posted 2006) [#24]
A spinner gadget isn't that hard to make.. but it would be a canvas with blitz code. (some ppz want native widgets, not canvas stuff). I did one once, flexible, multimunctional, but I lost the sources. ^_^ Wouldn't take much time to make a new one tho..

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#25]
Working on a canvas wouldn't work, because Jim was requesting what I believe is normally referred to as a property grid. The whole thing is one big gadget with other gadgets on it.

In any case, Fredborg's stuff was the reason I bumped. It's fairly small, should be easy to implement and is pretty important IMO.

CS_TBL(Posted 2006) [#26]
Uhm, yes? but why couldn't he put a canvas-based spinner gadget on such a grid? It would be different when a gadget can have children, but in this case I figure a spinner doesn't have any children..

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#27]
Well he could, I guess. I'm not sure how it would integrate with the rest of the property grid. I guess we'll never know since we don't have one. Although I do recall someone wrote quite a nice third party one, but I think it had some issues he couldn't resolve.

EDIT: And thanks to whoever moved this. I thought it was better to bump this rather than try to quote people who had posted before.

Regular K(Posted 2006) [#28]
I'd like to see multicolumn listboxes and ability to have the windows position go to the Windows default.

SculptureOfSoul(Posted 2006) [#29]
I'm having the same problem, #2, as Fredborg had in his original post. I need the program to generate an event when Enter/Return is pressed within a textfield.

The fix is here: www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=57075

Does anyone have a link to the fix for this? The link quoted is no longer alive.

Brucey(Posted 2006) [#30]
Try changing blitzbasic to blitzmax in the link. Works for me when I do that (I think it depends on which base URL you are logged into)

:o)

SculptureOfSoul(Posted 2006) [#31]
Ha, it works. Thanks Brucey!