Custom Web browser

BlitzMax Forums/MaxGUI Module/Custom Web browser

Darkseid2.0(Posted 2016) [#1]
Hi, I want to write a custom web browser. Getting it up and running is the easy part but I have no idea of how to get it to work with browser plugins like Adobe Flash, Java.

How would I go about doing this? I haven't seen any module that will let me do this, or if there is one I haven't found it.

The primary goal of this browser is to run Zynga flash game without any errors, in order for me to do this I need to have development modules that will let me give my browser access to these plugins. The reason I want to write this browser is cause my mother is addicted farmville 2 and Chrome is the only browser that runs the game. But, as of version 42 the games has been running with a multitude of errors due to the fact that Chrome is phasing out all flash plugins, and making use of only pepperflash. Which, if I'm not mistaken is a middle man for adobe flash and chrome. Farmvile was developed using NPAPI an out of date api, but the game runs just fine in Torch as it doesn't use nor need SilverLight to run Zynga flash games. And no, my mother doesn't want to use Torch.

So now I want to write a Zynga dedicated browser for the exclusive use of play that game. Writing a browser is simple, you drop in your gui components, link'em code them and there you go. A very basic and simple to use browser, but it's limited as in it can play flash or use java applets.

So if there is a module I can use for this them please let me know, and if it comes with a tutorial then even better. This should be a excellent learning experience browser development.

dw817(Posted 2016) [#2]
Hi Darkseid. If you just want to run your flash game, open not a HTML (*.htm) that contains links or code to your flash but the FLASH program itself (*.swf) directly in the BM browser.

This should appear full-screen and with no HTML borders or gadgets to get in the way, it can also be a local file if you so choose.

Darkseid2.0(Posted 2016) [#3]
Won't work, the game is tied in with the Zynga web site. You have to be login to the site to play the game.

dw817(Posted 2016) [#4]
Hmm ... Let me ask, if you had just the SWF file and it wasn't linked to the Zynga web site, would it work locally ?

I'm asking because I seem to remember a command that will let you embed flash locally yet 'trick' the browser into thinking it read it from an Online site and will in fact read the data files required for it from Online.

grable(Posted 2016) [#5]
If your using the MaxGUI HtmlBrowser the only way (on Windows) for it to use plugins is to find Internet Explorer compatible versions of them and install them so IE can find them.
But since you say it only works on Chrome there probably isnt one?

Or are you using an embeddable version of Chrome?

Darkseid2.0(Posted 2016) [#6]
I'm not using Chrome, it's a crap browser that chews up all available system resources. My mother is the one using it.

@dw817
The game connects to the Zynga DB. Besides I want to learn how to write a web browser.

Maybe I should just try and write my own HTML component with all the features I need.

dw817(Posted 2016) [#7]
Well if you come up with something interesting Darkseid, especially your own custom internet browser to facilitate an Online game, look me up - I'd really be curious to see that.

grable(Posted 2016) [#8]
I would instead suggest going back to the version that worked instead of making our own really.
http://www.oldaps.com probably has some, though i dont know how reputable that site is.. so be warned.

I use Chromium when i have to use Chrome, the open source version of it.
You can get its binary releases from here (Windows): https://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/chromium-browser-snapshots/index.html?prefix=Win/
So try going as far back as you can and see if it works.

Darkseid2.0(Posted 2016) [#9]
I googled "how to write a BlitzMax module" and found this How to make and edit modules

I'm gonna experiment with this until I have what I need to make it happen.