Demand for a macos/linux test

BlitzMax Forums/MaxGUI Module/Demand for a macos/linux test

Bobysait(Posted 2016) [#1]
This is a code I posted on archive section "as is", but I wish someone which owns both windows and Linus/Macos can test this and tell me if it works the same (and if it works at least)

I'm going to instal linux on and old hardware machine, but currently I only have windows installed.

I have never put a hand on a mac ... so I absolutely don't know how it looks and/or how it's supposed to behave on this environment and as it's part of some extra stuff I use for my modelisation software, I hope it can works on all platforms the same way.

You probably will tell me.

Bobysait(Posted 2016) [#2]
Also, if possible, this requires a cross-platform test too.

It's a numeric only textfield with some features
+ buttons up/down with support for mouse wheel
+ a checkbox (visible or not) to enable exponential increase/decrease value
+ can work as an Integer textfield if TEXTFIELDK_INT is provided in the parameter
+ clamps the result if TEXTFIELDK_CLAMP is provided in the style parameter.
+ Page Up/page Down increase/Decrease stepper by 5

skidracer(Posted 2016) [#3]
I can't find any issues with either program on MacOS. Both layout and operation seem to work well.

Bobysait(Posted 2016) [#4]
Thanks for testing !

I hope the 3D engine will work perfectly cross-platform too :)

Casaber(Posted 2016) [#5]
Same here, Windows and MacOS works perfectly. No problems what I can see.
Love those 3DMax like boxes.

Bobysait(Posted 2016) [#6]
update for the collapser gadget
-> add an automatic scroll bar if the height doesn't fit the kids.

Derron(Posted 2016) [#7]
On my linux box the buttons are a bit "too small" (top of the label is truncated)

The box itself seems to work at intended.

bye
Ron

Casaber(Posted 2016) [#8]
I'm still here so I thought I'll help out checking Mac's
Looking good but the scrollbars gets offset.

Bobysait(Posted 2016) [#9]
@Derron : The buttons are just simple maxgui buttons, I just made them too small
So it's just a "sample" issue.

Anyway, thanks for the image !
It showed me a strange behavior with panel colors I didn't know about.
-> While the windows panels (I mean : panels on win32 gui) automatically use the parent color if no color is specified, on linux, a panel without color specified use the default color.

I'll have to take care of this ^^

[edit]

@Casaber :
Do macos scrollbars use a minimal width ?
try to increase it and see what happens
on line 300 -> Self.scroll_size= 12;
change this to maybe 14 or more ...

[edit2]
or try this
(on windows, I want the scrollbar to remain the smallest possible)

Bobysait(Posted 2016) [#10]
This is what I see on windows 8.1

I just noticed on Derron's screen, there is no "+" or "-" on the TCollapserItem's button.
Does SetPanelPixmap work on linux ? (maybe it requires a PF_RGBA8888 instead of PF_RGB888 format)

Casaber(Posted 2016) [#11]
16 - 17 Got it right, increasing it more did'nt change the size. But 16 looked great. 17 I think was the same. So one of those.

Bobysait(Posted 2016) [#12]
so let's go for 16 :)

Actually, I'm trying to understand the first value of SetSliderRange
(from the maxgui doc)

For the default SLIDER_SCROLLBAR style the range0,range1 parameters are treated as a visible / total ratio which dictates both the size of the knob and it's maximum value. The default value is 1,10 which displays a Slider with a knob that occupies 1/10th the area and with a SliderValue range of 0..9.

I'like to have scrollbar with wider knobs ... but increasing the size (using the first range value) makes it unabled to reach to end of the client panel

[EDIT]
I've got it !
Self.scrollbarY.SetRange(clh, gadh);
this makes the knob the perfect size according to what's required to reach bottom of the client.

Derron(Posted 2016) [#13]
Bobysait:
(maybe it requires a PF_RGBA8888 instead of PF_RGB888 format)

Nope, that doesn't fix it.

I do not use the Linux-default-maxgui (FLTK) as this just errors out with some memory addresses, so I use

'Import maxgui.drivers
Import bah.gtkmaxgui

Which means, it might be something in connection to the gtk wrapper.

bye
Ron

Bobysait(Posted 2016) [#14]

I do not use the Linux-default-maxgui (FLTK) as this just errors out with some memory addresses, so I use

Are those errors related to the code I posted ? or just general issues with FLTK ?

I don't own the bah module (as I don't have a linux installed yet)
So, if anyone with the original maxgui module could test it, it would be greatfull.

dw817(Posted 2016) [#15]
Hi Bobysait. Maybe I'm the odd man out, however - your code works fine here too. Lots of shiny buttons. :)

markcw(Posted 2016) [#16]
Sorry no images but using ubuntu 14 and Gtkmaxgui I get the "+" or "-" symbols on the TCollapserItem button and it also works fine with Fltk in fact Fltk works better as it has no errors.

In Gtk if I click "Kill me" and then close the window I get this:
** (maxguitest.debug:4078): CRITICAL **: os_bar_hide: assertion 'OS_IS_BAR (bar)' failed
(maxguitest.debug:4078): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_hide: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

And if I click a collapser button and then close the window I get this:
(maxguitest4.debug:4092): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_scale_simple: assertion 'dest_height > 0' failed

Not big problems but worth mentioning.

I could not find a SetPanelPixmap in your code so not sure what you're talking about there.

Edit: also I was going to say, since only geeks use Linux (and it accounts for 2% of users, others 3%, Mac 6%) it may not be worth your while supporting it. I use Linux but only for development and because my project is open source.

Derron(Posted 2016) [#17]
@memory addresses
Has not to do with your code - it is just something with the fltkmaxgui.mod ...

brl.mod and pub.mod are the ones provides by Brucey's maxmod-collection (enhanced brl.mod/pub.mod). Maybe something is not working nicely together.

@FLTK
It just looks alien when run in an GTK/QT environment (other widget skin, other colors, other font sizes...).

Just continue your work, varying "appearance" could be taken care of in a later stage.

bye
Ron

Bobysait(Posted 2016) [#18]
At least it is working on mac whithout carying about anything.
For Linux, that's true there is not really a lot of users ...
But you know, a customer is a customer (or not actually ... "You use Linux, you won't pay for softwares anyway")

I could not find a SetPanelPixmap in your code so not sure what you're talking about there.

I don't use the "full command", but the method on the gadget > gadget.SetPixmap(pixmap, PANELPIXMAP_FIT) which is the same :)