GNet with a GUI

BlitzMax Forums/MaxGUI Module/GNet with a GUI

cps(Posted 2015) [#1]
I have put together some GNET code. The schematic for this is :
Host/server places game name/server name on www.blitzbasic.com (Thanks to Mark Sibly et al). Then the host creates a second Gnet object to listen for a client. Client selects a server from www etc and attempts to contact the second gnet object. If the host accepts the client the first object is destroyed and communication begins.
This works fine on one computer with internet connection and several instances of the program or, two computers on the same LAN sharing an internet connection. (tested on Vista and XP) But dosn't work on two computers with seperate internet connections. The Gnet error code is (wait for it !) 'Error sending outgoing packets : No error'
The code is on my website in compressed form(zip) under Blitz Max Demos - BaseNet1 Have tried altering the port number and the timeout but no luck Anybody have any ideas? Cheers Cps.
PS The error is generated by the line;
GNetConnect( Host, PGroup.DecodeName(Tst1,2), port, timeout_ms )
where pgroup.decodename(Ts1,2) = host/server name obtained from www.blitzbasic.com
Which when changed to GNetConnect( Host, IPAddr, port, timeout_ms )
where IPAddr = IP as provided by www.blitz etc prevents it working on either a LAN or two instances on one Cpu but I've yet to test it on an internet connection.

cps(Posted 2015) [#2]
The first sign of madness-- replying to your own posts ?? I think port forwarding has solved the problem outlined above.
Have posted two versions of basenet with a game writen with each on my website and github under bmx-programs.
Basenet V2 has feedback on the coms to get around coms dropout. The games are a version of the Viking game I hope somebody has a go at it and provides some feedback. Have fun Cps

RustyKristi(Posted 2015) [#3]
Host/server places game name/server name on www.blitzbasic.com

GNET masterserver is PHP, you can always host your own master server if you need some discretion or have modified the code in some way.

I would like to hear about what you have used for multiplayer though (3d?) as I'm still struggling to find a working and almost complete library that can be used with blitz3d.

cps(Posted 2015) [#4]
Thanks for reply, sorry but I've never touched Blitz3d I'm doing 2d boardgames. I will have to have a look at PHP thanks for the lead.
Have fun Cps