Simplest way to Write Index Card Program?

BlitzMax Forums/MaxGUI Module/Simplest way to Write Index Card Program?

zoqfotpik(Posted 2015) [#1]
I'm looking to write a program for note taking. I want moveable index cards, each allowing text entry and word wrap. I have no experience with maxgui. Any ideas or tips?

The simplicity is enough that I could do the GUI myself but I'd rather avoid reinventing the wheel. Thanks!

xlsior(Posted 2015) [#2]
Maybe not much help, but if I were to create something like this I might consider using a SQLite database backend to hold your index cards.

Brucey has a free SQLite module for Blitzmax.

Henri(Posted 2015) [#3]
Maybe equally unhelpful, but textarea gadget acts as a 'Wordpad' for text entry and allows wordwrap and formating. And printing too. I second xlsior on SQLite for storing your notes.

-Henri

degac(Posted 2015) [#4]
For the GUI I would use 2 different gadget:
a - a list of the single 'task'
b - a textarea where type/read the content

Having 2 different and separate things is easy to manage (maybe no so 'good' to look...)

Managing data is another history and it depends on how many entries do you plan to use: SQL (and Brucey's modules - I'm using SQLite for 200 records and multiusers access/write) is a good solution.

ps: if you want to take note (like a diary) and don't like a 'to-do-list' you need to trace data/time informations.
Moreover, if you want to 'search' for information, an SQL engine is a must.

zoqfotpik(Posted 2015) [#5]
Hmmm.

I may just write the gui myself, but I should probably at least look at MaxGui.

MySQL is way overdoing it for my purposes.

Brucey(Posted 2015) [#6]
No one mentioned MySQL :-)

zoqfotpik(Posted 2015) [#7]
Touche

zoqfotpik(Posted 2015) [#8]
I'm just going to use flat files

xlsior(Posted 2015) [#9]
Fwiw: sqlite uses a flat file with no external dependencies either, but makes retrieval much easier.