Breathe new life into MaxGUI

BlitzMax Forums/MaxGUI Module/Breathe new life into MaxGUI

JoshK(Posted 2013) [#1]
There's two easy things you can do to make MaxGUI look absolutely cutting-edge on Windows 8.

1. Use monochrome icons. This has the added benefit of making it easier to make new icons that look consistent.

2. Capitalize your menu titles.

Looks similar to Visual Studio 2013:

BLaBZ(Posted 2013) [#2]
Looks great Josh!

I started experimenting with WPF a little while ago and I have to admit I really like working with xaml to create forms.

Implementing themes was also quite easy

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/442856/Visual-Studio-2012-Metro-Styles-for-WPF

JoshK(Posted 2013) [#3]
Does that actually work with MaxGUI?

Grisu(Posted 2013) [#4]
Even if you use all capital letters. It won't breath new life into MaxGui. - Sadly.

And for Windows 8.1: It's Windows 7 with a worse GUI.

skidracer(Posted 2013) [#5]
I don't agree, what Josh is doing with MaxGUI is awesome and deserves encouragement.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#6]
I think the problem with MaxGUI - and the problem it's always had, is that there is no visual form designer. That makes it incredibly laborious to use.

I got around that by using LogicGUI, which makes the whole thing about 100x easier.

JoshK(Posted 2013) [#7]
Here's the actual VS 2012 icons. They look really good. Note you can only use these on Windows:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35825

JoshK(Posted 2013) [#8]
Even if you use all capital letters. It won't breath new life into MaxGui. - Sadly.

I'm quite happy with the results:

Grisu(Posted 2013) [#9]
Please don't get me wrong Josh. - Your efforts are great!

But I'd prefer to see some official module update for bmx.

*(Posted 2013) [#10]
Maxgui is brilliant at what it does, I would like to see things like excel sheets officially added to it though

Henri(Posted 2013) [#11]
I use LibXL for professional Excel stuff (I created a Blitzmax wrapper for it), but I understand you mean something like wxMax has.

Maybe editable listview would come close ?

-Henri

*(Posted 2013) [#12]
Was thinking of writing my own gui that uses maxgui only to setup a window and canvas and that's it.

Henri(Posted 2013) [#13]
You mean excel sheet on a canvas ? If so I think someone tried that and didn't fare too well. Tableview it was called I think.

-Henri

*(Posted 2013) [#14]
Ah ok, thanks for the heads up on that minefield. I will have to look at other solutions and see what fares better in a complete cross platform approach.

col(Posted 2013) [#15]
What I find a shame with MaxGUI is lack of expansion abilities. Granted you can create proxy type gadgets using the existing MaxGUI components but if you want to create a new core component gadget you have to alter MaxGUI itself. If this feature was available there's no stopping it.

Other than that it is superb at what it does.

BTW JoshK - I also like the new look of the later gui used in 'Studio. Although the capital letters has had a mixed response from some coders in relation to capitals being interpreted as shouting. It might be an idea to have that as an option.

Henri(Posted 2013) [#16]
That crossplatform thingie is a though nut to crack :-)

*(Posted 2013) [#17]
Yeah this is why i thought of just calling the create window system and either create a canvas or a panel with pixmap and draw everything onto that.

JoshK(Posted 2013) [#18]
You might as well make it completely separate from MaxGUI and just have the user give it a few callbacks for basic drawing. Then it can be used with anything.

BLaBZ(Posted 2014) [#19]
Out of curiosity, what icon images did you use when you built for linux\mac?

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#20]
Was thinking of writing my own gui that uses maxgui only to setup a window and canvas and that's it.

That's exactly what I use for all my apps