Is wxMax now broke on Windows?

BlitzMax Forums/Brucey's Modules/Is wxMax now broke on Windows?

Dabhand(Posted 2012) [#1]
I used to be able to get this to work, now, I just cannot... I'm running on Vista at the minute, and everytime I try to run a wxmax app, it seems to spew countless error messages!

I've tried everything to get it working, and it wont, it works on OSX, not sure about Linux, but as it suggests it supports Windows, and it clearly hasnt been supported for ages (wxMax2D thingy me bobs still havent beem sorted), with no sign of the original author (Brucey) for, well, when?

I recommend the mods remove the links, I've spent three days now, and it just looks totally knackered to me, so, to stop people wasting their time, get rid, for Windows, it's useless!

That is all!

Dabz

GfK(Posted 2012) [#2]
Daft question but there might be some specific MinGW requirement. Even so, Blitzmax development often feels like a bit of a balancing act and you just don't rock the boat if you get to a stage where everything is working as it should.

Dabhand(Posted 2012) [#3]

Daft question but there might be some specific MinGW requirement.

Tried loads, even a version Brucey mentions in a sticky thread at the top of the forum... It's a dud too! :(

Even so, Blitzmax development often feels like a bit of a balancing act and you just don't rock the boat if you get to a stage where everything is working as it should.

Well it is, it's been a nightmare because it works great in OSX (As you know), but ultimately, Windows is where I want to be, OSX/Linux is a bonus!

I've managed to get a basic app up and running with C++, though, I'm looking at heaps of work to get it how it is now, this is gonna knock me back weeks, because the other half of my project, the meat if you will, is in BlitzMax, but, I might as well move that over as well and have both projects sitting in one solution, which will help keep on top of it all.

Shame, but, I should of known, I've mentioned this stuff happening, just, I feel for the poor sods who are gonna follow me and end up wasting their time too, this is why it should be dropped from the forums... It's a dead duck!

Dabz

Derron(Posted 2012) [#4]
Thats why I stopped the development of my small linux ide... it just is not able to compile from by 64bit linux.

For gui development one just should use freepascal/lazarus as it is easy to use.

Maybe you think about adding your "blitzmax functionality" using a DLL.

Before we just blame "wxMax" - don't look at MaxGui if using recent linux desktop distributions... it just looks messy (fltk gui...) and Bruceys GTK-lib is also not working and needs some overhaul.

bye
Ron

Dabhand(Posted 2012) [#5]

Thats why I stopped the development of my small linux ide... it just is not able to compile from by 64bit linux.

Ah, bit of a pig that!

For gui development one just should use freepascal/lazarus as it is easy to use

I started wrapping Scintilla in C++, but then, I realized I've also got the other GUI elements to do, which isnt too bad, I'd just wrap them up too, but then thought, why bother, I'll just use C#, and, well, I pretty much set out the editor within 5 minutes, now, just need to fill it in, only problem is, now, I'll have to reimplement autocompletion, calltips and all the other gumf I waded through last time, still, never mind, keep me busy! ;)

Before we just blame "wxMax" - don't look at MaxGui if using recent linux desktop distributions... it just looks messy (fltk gui...) and Bruceys GTK-lib is also not working and needs some overhaul.

Nah, not even contemplating that, MaxGUI is what it is, and not bad for basic stuff, but, for anything big, I know its no good, I've got the fridge magnet! :D

Anyway, I'm not really blaming "wxMax", as it happens, it worked fine previously, but, again, it's fallen under the "author does a disappearing act" syndrome, I have no knowledge of the beast other then what I've picked out, so to dedicate (A lot of) time to it, personally plucking it apart to fix stuff is a silly idea, because I just want to get on with what I'm doing, fortunately, C# should save me a bit of time with the GUI, and I do like a bit of C# programming, so that's where I've decided to head too, it's still a lot of work, and cost me weeks, but, at the end of the day... **** happens! :D

Dabz

Derron(Posted 2012) [#6]
For c++ you would not need to write wrappers as wxWidgets already have done that... you could have used the whole (and current!) library.

The stuff enabling autocompletition is mostly of logical nature and just has to convert using a different command syntax/structure.
The way you "fill the list of autocomplete list content" is still the same: parse current code(files), split that up into your structure ...

but, again, it's fallen under the "author does a disappearing act" syndrome

Brucey produced a lot of middleware code and I think he deserves much respect but yes, I am wondering for months where he stays - no sign of life on his website/forums - and I cannot imagine his intel(?) work is surging 100% of his lifetime.

bye
Ron

Dabhand(Posted 2012) [#7]
I've got it sussed now anyway in c#, syntax highlighting is in, line numbers, tab lines, basic autocompletion (still needs a bit of work, but its setup ready for heavier stuff), calltips, undo/redo is there too (which was a pain in wxscintilla)... All in one weekend, lol... Kicking myself now wasting that much time! :D

Dabz

Hummelpups(Posted 2012) [#8]
I have the same problem, throwing hundreds of reference errors
and i get nothing build up. And i just need wxCTB for serial communication x(

BMax 1.48, MinGW 5.1.6

i used the bin files from google code and the SVN anonymous checkout.
the bin files in its build and complete rebuild. I also tried the SVN
code after building them (v1.00) (v1.01 didnt have wxCTB, so i didnt give a try)

Last edited 2012

Last edited 2012

Hummelpups(Posted 2012) [#9]
Does nobody knows, whats the cause of this freakin problem?

Dabhand(Posted 2012) [#10]

Does nobody knows, whats the cause of this freakin problem?

I "think" it's a combination of BlitzMax not having a clue what goes where anymore in regards to MinGW (Maybe not BlitzMax, but, there's nothing official anymore, and thats a pain), and, possibly, wxMax not being supported to the newest version of said BlitzMax!

I was going to have another look, but alas, I dont really care anymore to make myself... The only thing I can recommend is to set all paths correctly in the env variables, I'm sure you have to move some files about, 3 files from one folder in MinGW to the MinGW/bin (Edit: All the .exe files in MinGW->libexec->gcc->mingw32->{version}/), also, if I recall, there's two files (Edit: ar.exe and ld.exe) you need to move from MinGW/bin to the BlitzMax/bin folder, and you may need to add some unicode dll (Edit: unicows.dll) to MinGW/bin (Or is it BlitzMax/bin)...

See, the whole thing is a mess!

EDIT: Untested mind, but, that may help!

Dabz

Last edited 2012