Chromium Embedded?

BlitzMax Forums/Brucey's Modules/Chromium Embedded?

Blueapples(Posted 2011) [#1]
A new project to consider, Brucey: http://code.google.com/p/chromiumembedded/

"The Chromium Embedded Framework (CEF) is an open source project founded by Marshall Greenblatt in 2008 to develop a Web browser control based on the Google Chromium project."

This would be so awesome, and you are the C++ wrapping master!

Last edited 2011

LT(Posted 2013) [#2]
Looked into this myself for use in my engine. There is a CEF dll that appears easy to use. However, the basic init commands are unavailable, presumably because they assume the dll will be used in C or C++ compiles. :(

Brucey(Posted 2013) [#3]
Do we need another browser thingy?

In what context would this be used? MaxGUI? Which I suppose it would have to be, as it's not really something compatible with a graphics window.

LT(Posted 2013) [#4]
I don't know why Isaac (Blueapples) wanted it. I suppose most people would like to use it with MaxGui as a way to get html that's actually being supported. The MaxGui html gadget is IE8 and no longer updated.

In my case, I want to be able to render a web page as a texture. This can be used in a game world for cool status updates (that can also be viewed in a web browser). I've also been considering a side project where I render my own interface (3d quad-based) on top of a web page for a kind of wysiwyg html editor.

There's Awesomium, which is based off CEF, but it doesn't look like it would be any easier to wrap for Blitz than CEF itself. My project is commercial and I'd be happy to do it myself (and post as a free module on here), but I seem to be lacking bits of important knowledge. :/

Brucey(Posted 2013) [#5]
Here's some interesting reading : http://code.google.com/p/chromiumembedded/wiki/GeneralUsage

It appears you can write a proper browser type app with it… but it's a bit complicated.

LT(Posted 2013) [#6]
Yeah, I read through that and you're right - it is a bit complicated. I had hoped grabbing the dll and doing the usual wrapping of functions would be enough, but not so. Not all of the necessary functions are available, and I noticed that Awesomium uses a separate exe for processing, so I'd probably need something like that, too.

It would take more research to pull this off, especially for me because I'm a bit behind the curve in my knowledge of C++. I wrapped part of the Bullet physics library a couple of months ago and that required a lot of mods to its C API, but it was fairly straightforward. This looks a bit tougher without the same bang for the buck.

As cool as it would be to have this capability in my engine, I've got enough on my plate right now. :)

Thanks for looking into it, though!

Flexman(Posted 2014) [#7]
I saw a guy from RedGate demo writing a desktop app with CEF. Desktop applications which use it you've probably already come across; Steam, DropBox, Spotify are all CEF applications rendering HTML 5 content.

And you can invoke the same F12 dev tool in your app and edit properties as it's running. Dummy event hooks were used for interface prototyping which were relatively easy for a host C# program to link to. This would seem to be ideal for Blitz if a mod could be made. Implementing HTML 5 driven UI would be pretty empowering for Blitz.