DeviceList Problem in rtMIDI

BlitzMax Forums/Brucey's Modules/DeviceList Problem in rtMIDI

Midimaster(Posted 2011) [#1]
this is a bug report for brucey:

I found a bug in the rtMIDI.mod.

[EDIT 12h later]
the code doesn't crash anymore. It only remains a String-Problem

The rtmidi module has worked perfect during the last weeks. Now I started to test it with different (external) MIDI-Devices. With one device from "www.thomann.de" the code crashes.

I am not able to send you a code which could demonstrate it, because you would need to have this device to see it. But I try to descripe what happens.

The device is called "Swissonic MIDI USB Interface". It has one IN and one OUT. The problem is, that its device name is "USB-Audiogerät" with a german umlaut "ä" in the name. When I try to list the device names of the midi-out-port the result is something like this:

This seems to be a memory violation. Where does the right part "...ient" comes from?

At first the problem was, that the code sometimes crashed in the moment of filling the combo-box... or sometimes in other parts of the program. At the moment it seems to run stable. But I need the correct and complete device names for a users combo-box, where he can select the device.

When I try to open the MIDI-OUT i get errors like this:

Also in your Sample-Code attached to the rtmidi.mod the device names are returned incorrect. See picture above.

Could you please have a look on the source code of rtmidi.mod, whether you can see a problems with german umlauts?

Last edited 2011

Brucey(Posted 2011) [#2]
It's a bug with rtmidi on Windows - not handling unicode characters properly.

I think I have a fix for it.

Brucey(Posted 2011) [#3]
I've uploaded a fix to SVN.
I couldn't test it exactly, as obviously I don't have a device with such a name, so instead I wrote a test app which replicated the issue, and worked out a solution which fixed it, then applied it to the RtMidi source, so it should work now as expected.

Brucey(Posted 2011) [#4]
And released it - 1.01.
It's also the latest RtMidi source too, so I expect there are other improvements in there also.

Midimaster(Posted 2011) [#5]
hi brucey,

i did forget to tell you, that i had a nice contact to rtmidi author Gary P. Scavone. I informed him about the bug we found. He answered very friendly and launched a new update 1.0.15 in august.