monkey modules

BlitzMax Forums/Brucey's Modules/monkey modules

Nigel Brown(Posted 2011) [#1]
@Brucey,

Do you have any plans to convert any of your modules to monkey? Think it has a need at the moment.

Brucey(Posted 2011) [#2]
I doubt many of them would translate well to javascript/flash/java.

Last edited 2011

Wiebo(Posted 2011) [#3]
I think so too, but one module that would really be of help ( and it has no graphics or performance requirements ) is the unit test module... I cannot live without it anymore :) The loss of reflection might be a problem though.

Brucey(Posted 2011) [#4]
The loss of reflection might be a problem though.

And annotations/metadata...

slenkar(Posted 2011) [#5]
does monkey have persistence with json?

Brucey(Posted 2011) [#6]
Anything can have persistence with json.
Of course, someone needs to write it first...

slenkar(Posted 2011) [#7]
its not possible without reflection though...unless you do it manually for each class?

I spose you could have every class extend a class called 'persist'
and have an abstract method that saves it to a file
I would prefer to wait until an XML module comes out for monkey before trying that
Last edited 2011

Last edited 2011

Last edited 2011

Last edited 2011

Nigel Brown(Posted 2011) [#8]
I was hoping for XML support, essential to all my MAX programs so hard to convert to monkey without.

Nigel Brown(Posted 2011) [#9]
Brucey You don't seem convinced, perhaps we should have a model for Monkey that would allow us to buy modules via an app store like interface? I would happily pay for all the modules you have provided that I use.

Last edited 2011

Volker(Posted 2011) [#10]
There is a XML parser by skn3.
monkey\bananas\skn3\config

Htbaa(Posted 2011) [#11]
@Nigel Brown: What makes you think Brucey should start producing all kinds Monkey modules? Just because he has perhaps practically written 35-50% of all available BlitzMax modules doesn't mean he is obliged to start doing the same for Monkey. Not trying to attack you here, but that's the feeling I'm getting from your first sentence "Brucey You don't seem convinced", followed by the rest.

Peace.

Nigel Brown(Posted 2011) [#12]
@Htbba, I am not making assumptions that Brucey will write modules for monkey, or indeed ordering him to do so. Many of my BlitzMAX programs use Brucey's modules and for that I am very grateful. It would be a huge amount of work for me to either write my own from scratch or even change to someone else's implementations. Where some modules such as LibXML would perhaps port without mammoth amounts of effort, as there is a javascript version of the same. I am resigned to the fact I will have to write modules for monkey to get the most out of it. I also said that I would be willing to contribute financially but you seem to have overlooked that point?

Brucey(Posted 2011) [#13]
Anyway... moving on folks!

This isn't General Discussion :-)