Problems building .cpp stuff on Windows

BlitzMax Forums/Brucey's Modules/Problems building .cpp stuff on Windows

Brucey(Posted 2011) [#1]
The most likely cause of compilation issues on Windows is a bad installation of MinGW - either your previously working version is corrupt, or you are trying to use a newer version of MinGW that is in advance of the binaries provided with BlitzMax.

If it is a case of the latter, you need to copy the relevant MinGW .exes into your BlitzMax/bin folder, and again, the relevant (matching file names) libraries into the BlitzMax/lib folder.
You can find the files in your MinGW folders - in various places.

Once you have everything in order, things should build okay.

Brucey(Posted 2011) [#2]
Interestingly, I found I had to run the latest mingw auto installer (for gcc 4.5.2) TWICE for it to download and install everything properly. The first time it ran it appears to have done only half a job...

Htbaa(Posted 2011) [#3]
I've had lots of install problems with MinGW in the past as well in the form of the installer not being able to download crucial files. So one should keep a close eye on the installation process.

Beaker(Posted 2011) [#4]
I suddenly started to have problems on a mature & stable project whereby libxml would no longer pull a file from the internet (or something). I wonder if something like this was the problem? Is that possible?

I've since had to remake the whole project in Unity, which I did't mind as it gave me a chance to get more comfortable with it, have newer to tech to play with, and more platforms. But I would still like to know what went wrong.

Ian Thompson(Posted 2011) [#5]
MinGW autoinstaller is still doing a half-assed job at a web install. Somethings are not downloaded, yet the installation continues. Careful examination of the console is required once you believe the installation is complete.