OSX: Tess.init crashes after computer reboot

BlitzMax Forums/Brucey's Modules/OSX: Tess.init crashes after computer reboot

explosive(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hello everyone, hello Brucey,

I started using your tesseract module, as I find it simpler to use the inbuilt module instead of a precompiled package. Under MacOS 10.5 it worked fine for me - until I shut down the computer and started it up the next day. Since then the programme crashes during "Tess.init("tessdata","eng")". I tried to dig a bit into it, but I'm getting quite confused. It seems to me, that there might be a problem with the installed dictionaries - but I'm not sure.

I also tried to install it under Linux openSuse 11.3, but I failed to compile it. So I can't give you any reports about the linux version, sorry.

Many thanks for any help.

Greetings Simon

Brucey(Posted 2011) [#2]
The tesseract module has now been updated (in SVN) to the latest 3.x version, which I presume makes for better character recognition. I think there is also some improved support for layout.

It now also requires BaH.Leptonica, an imaging library, also available in SVN.

I've tested it on the 3 platforms, and it appears to work as expected.

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#3]

Last edited 2011

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#4]
Yay, this is werid. After releasing that the above references to mingw 3.4.5 and I am running a newer version, I decided to reinstall MinGW altogether.

Now it goes completely bonkers, with garbled command line output:

C:\Code\BlitzMax\bin>bmk makemods -a bah.tesseract
Compiling:strtok.cpp
Compiling:baseapi.cpp
Compiling:tesseractmain.cpp
In file includeInd fi le fincrludoed mfro m CC:/Co:d/eC/oBdlei/tBzlMiatxz/Mmaoxd
//mboadh/.bmaohd./mloedp/ttoensseica.morda/srcc/atllt.ypems.ho:20d:0,/
s r c / w i frnom 3C:/2Cod/e/BlsittrzMatx/mokod/bah.mod/le.ptocnpipca
.mod/src/allhe:a1der:s.h0::23,

c : / m i nfrogm Cw:/C/odel/BliitzbMax//mogd/bcah.cmod//temsseiracnt.
mgod/wsrc3/ap2i/basea/pi.4cpp:27:
c:/mingw/lib/gc.c/mingw32/4.5.50/...0//../.../...//inc.lud.e/s/tdi.o.h:26:.20:/
fa.tal. er/rori: sntddcef.h: No such file or dlireuctodrye
/cosmtpilartiionng t.ehrm:i2na4t:e20I:dn ff.ai
ael ienrcrlourd:e ds tfdrdoemf .Ch::/ CNood es/uBclhi tfziMlaex /omro dd/ibraeh
c.tmoordy/te
sercacto.mBomdu/siprcl/icdcu ltiEla/rmfrtcopcrih.:h: 1o2:0f,
i l te d e rt o m icfroonmm Cap:/iCtoldeee/B ldi(tz.1Ma)x
mCo:d//Code/BlbiatzhM.amxod//tmeossder/acbt.amohd/.srmc/oadpi//ttesesesrascetmra
ainc.ctpp.:2m0:o
dc://msinrgwc/l/iba/pgcic//mibngaw3s2/e4.a5.p0/i.../.c./p.p./
/i
ncBuild Error: failed to compile (1) C:/Code/BlitzMax/mod/bah.mod/tesseract.mod/
src/api/baseapi.cpplBude/stdlib
C:\Code\BlitzMax\bin>.h:21:20: fatal error: stddef.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.

Brucey(Posted 2011) [#5]
Well, that's very cool !

I coded it initially on Mac.
I tested it on Windows (and fixed all the broken MinGW stuff)
Then I tested it on Linux, which worked first time.

Testing consists of rebuild after rebuild until all the bits compile. And then I run the examples, applying other fixes as required.

I think I'm using a v4.x MinGW ... I'll give it another clean build and see if anything crops up.

Last edited 2011

Brucey(Posted 2011) [#6]
FYI, I'm building with TDM GCC 4.4.1... which I think is a fairly standard build.

Unless of course there are problems building on something older (non 4.x gcc)... ho hum.

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#7]
OK, it took near-divine intervention, but I managed to get MinGW back into whack to where it can successfully compile the module.

Did I ever mention that I hate MinGW? :-?

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#8]
(I'm using tdm 4.5.1, btw)

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#9]
By the way: it appears that the garbled text was BMK NG doing something funky. Trying it with the original BRL bmk resulted in normal readable error messages.

Everything appears fine now, though -- recompiling all my modules at the moment, and so far I'm not seeing any more error messages or garbled text.