SetStatusText in wxWidgets behaving strangely

BlitzMax Forums/Brucey's Modules/SetStatusText in wxWidgets behaving strangely

Pete Rigz(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hello, On the Mac version of the TimelineFX Editor the performance has always been a bit stuttery, but I think I've finely narrowed it down to the status bar, which is always updated with the number of particles in use and the FPS. Strangely though it depends on what it's being updated with.

If I update with just the FPS alone it seems ok, and even performs a lot faster, but with just the word "Test" it's ok but runs at half speed...? And if you update it with Millisecs() then it's stuttery again, and in a small example I made to isolate it more the example doesn't even run when updating the status text with millisecs. It's really rather odd.

In windows it runs a lot better, but the differing FPS is still there.

I made an example if you wanted to test, although you need timelinefx module to run it. http://www.rigzsoft.co.uk/files/GLCanvasTest.zip

on line 107-109 are 3 different statusbar updates to test with, I get different results with each.

By the way Brucey, did you get my email in reply to yours? I don't know if it got spam filtered or anything :)

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#2]
I don't think it's such a good idea to update the statusbar so often (how many frames per second??).

Rather, I would have it updating it say, once per second - at least then you shouldn't have to worry about the internals of a widget redraw tree - which may be a factor.

You may even get away with running it off a separate timer... (or just use the millisecs count)

Pete Rigz(Posted 2010) [#3]
Hmm, yeh separate timer sounds like a good idea, I'll try that, thanks!