wxCocoa

BlitzMax Forums/Brucey's Modules/wxCocoa

Winni(Posted 2010) [#1]
I've spent most of the last year in Cisco and Mikrotik land and haven't really been following the development on the wxMax front. I see that the current version of wxWidgets now supports a Cocoa back-end on the Mac in the stable branch.

Has this been tried with wxMax and if so, how well does it work?

For a change, I'm getting a software development project at work (some database stuff) and I can freely choose whether what tools I use and whether this is going to be a web or desktop/Terminal Server based app.

Chances are that I will eventually use Mono C# for it, but I'd also like to give BlitzMax a chance. (Although there might be a database related problem here; I also need to talk to a MS SQL 2005 server for a couple of queries, but the rest will be stored in a MySQL database.)

Anyway. wxMax could be an option in case I choose to write a desktop app, and if I do so, I want to make sure that it also runs well and looks nice on a Mac.

DavidDC(Posted 2010) [#2]
Sorry I can't help you Winni. I'm still using 2.8.x (.10 I think) on Windows only.

Winni(Posted 2010) [#3]
Thanks, David. It seems that 2.9 is also still a development branch and not yet officially stable.

But since I've got you on the line... :-) Have you ever tried using a BlitzMax app through CGI?

DavidDC(Posted 2010) [#4]
Have you ever tried using a BlitzMax app through CGI?

Yes, I've got a RESTful cgi-based web service written in Blitzmax that I use to allowing interfacing with my spa software.

I'd like to take the credit, but it was something Brucey helped me out with using BAH.ClearSilver. Works just fine.

Winni(Posted 2010) [#5]
Thanks, David. That's great to know. There again comes that warm feeling towards this programming language from the Southern half of the world. :)

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#6]
The cocoa stuff is still very much beta as far as I can tell, and isn't as far advanced as the Carbon side of things, unfortunately. They are "meant" to have it running properly by wxWidgets 3, but I've no time-scale on that as yet.
Until the cocoa side is more complete I don't want to spend too much time changing code to use that instead (especially if it turns out not to work!)

Something that does excite me a little with Cocoa is the 64bit side of things... a 64bit Qt-based Blitz app would be cool, I think. :-)

As for CGI, yes, it works very well using the ClearSilver API. I tested some stuff with Apache on Mac. I think David is using IIS on Windows.

Winni(Posted 2010) [#7]
Yeah, 64-Bit BlitzMax apps would be a killer. But that would require Mark to change his mind. He once said that he didn't want to invest time in a 64-Bit version of BlitzMax.

I think I will give ClearSilver a try on... 64-Bit Ubuntu Linux 10.04 with Apache. 64-Bit Ubuntu is our default flavor for Linux servers at work. On the Windows side we default to 64-Bit Windows Server 2008. Will be interesting to see how BlitzMax fares here.

I see one problem with SQL Server 2005 and ODBC, though, should I go with a web based solution. Microsoft provides JDBC drivers for all platforms, but their only ODBC drivers are for Windows. For everything else, you have to purchase something. There are third parties who sell an ODBC driver for Mac OS X, but I don't know if there is one for Linux. In worst case, I might have to write a service that runs on the Windows server that then can be queried from the Linux (web) app.

About Qt: Does Qt use native widgets like wxWidgets and SWT or does it render everything by itself like Swing?

In any case, I'd love to see more of those rather cool native Cocoa features in BlitzMax. :)