newby -- need help with mods

BlitzMax Forums/Brucey's Modules/newby -- need help with mods

srvaldez(Posted 2010) [#1]
I am trying to compile muparser.mod and mapm.mod, when I open muparser.bmx and click on build the compiler gives the error

Building muparser
Compiling:muParser.cpp
Build Error: failed to compile C:/BlitzMax/mod/muparser.mod/src/muParser.cpp

with mapm it gives

flat assembler version 1.68 (1215679 kilobytes memory)
3 passes, 2155 bytes.
Compiling:mapm.bmx
Compile Error: Module does not match commandline module
[C:/BlitzMax/mod/mapm.mod/mapm.bmx;26;17]
Build Error: failed to compile C:/BlitzMax/mod/mapm.mod/mapm.bmx

Ole JR(Posted 2010) [#2]
You're missing the folder bah.mod
The path to most of Brucey's modules should be something like:
C:\BlitzMax\mod\bah.mod\muparser.mod
C:\BlitzMax\mod\bah.mod\mapm.mod
And so on..

srvaldez(Posted 2010) [#3]
still the same problem :(

Shortwind(Posted 2010) [#4]
Um, to compile the modules you don't open any of the modules .bmx files directly. You need to use the "Build Modules" option in the menu (from the main maxide).

If your on windows and don't have minGW installed you will not be able to rebuild any of the mods.

srvaldez(Posted 2010) [#5]
I have minGW installed but "Build Modules" and "Rebuild All Modules" are grayed-out.
the compiler seems to be working OK, I compiled and run some of the samples without problems.

<Edit>
no problems on OS X

Shortwind(Posted 2010) [#6]
Since you have minGW installed, you don't have your environment variables set up correctly. That's why the build options are greyed out.

At a minimum set the following environment variable:

GCC_EXEC_PREFIX=<drive:\minGW directory>
MinGW=<drive:\minGW directory>

You may need to update your %path% system variable too.

Usually path=%path%;c:\mingw\bin;c:\mingw\mingw32;

Hope that helps. I thought the installer set these things by default, but I can't remember.

srvaldez(Posted 2010) [#7]
thank you Shortwind, that fixed the menu options, after copying stddef.h and stdarg.h from the gcc include directory to the minGW include directory the mapm mod compiles OK but the muParser mod reports the same message as before without a clue as to what is wrong.

Shortwind(Posted 2010) [#8]
The Main MinGW site:

MinGW Main Site

The actual download page:

Download Here

Shortwind(Posted 2010) [#9]
It should be noted that I didn't have any problems compiling mapm.mod, but I never could get it working to my satisfaction. I use gmp.mod instead. Much better in my opionion, but then it depends on why you need it.

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#10]
after copying stddef.h and stdarg.h from the gcc include directory to the minGW include directory

You shouldn't need to do that at all.

Usually, all you need to do is install MinGW (including gcc/g++, WIN32 APIs), and set in the environment, MINGW and PATH.
That works for me on XP and Win7.

(If you intend using a GCC4.x version, your work gets a little harder, so I wouldn't even consider that quite yet)

From the command-line (if you feel adventurous), you can then do something like this from your BlitzMax/bin folder :
bmk makemods -a

which forces a recompile of ALL modules. Without the -a, it will just build recently changed modules.

srvaldez(Posted 2010) [#11]
thanks everyone for your help :)