[Brucey] reSID, SIDPLAY2 or TinySID Mod ?

BlitzMax Forums/Brucey's Modules/[Brucey] reSID, SIDPLAY2 or TinySID Mod ?

mic_pringle(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hi Brucey,

I was wondering (or hoping) if you'd ever considered releasing a mod to play the good ol' C64 SID tunes ?

I know GMan released a mod some years ago (GMan's Mod) but I can't seem to get it to compile on a Mac, and its no longer maintained with Feb 07 being the latest release.

I was going to have a crack at the TinySID library (TinySID) but the site has been down for sometime now so I no longer have access to the source.

As I have no experience with C++ I know I would fail miserably with SIDPLAY2 (SIDPLAY2, also see SIDPLAY2 Mac) so I am reaching out to you, wondering if you'd be at all prepared to give it a crack ?

This would also be an excellent companion to the great GME mod you've already done

I'll look forward to hearing from you.

-Mic

Matthew Smith(Posted 2010) [#2]
mic_pringle,

GMan's mod worked in conjuction with REDi's MaxMod module. I'm also hoping that he eventually updates MaxMod2 to play sidplay files (it's on his list of todos).

If you have a search around you should find some further info about using MaxMod and SidPlay together.

mic_pringle(Posted 2010) [#3]
Matt,

The problem I have is that I can't get it to compile successfully on a Mac, and it's no longer maintained.

Also (as I did search before posting) from what I read you only need MaxMod if you want to stream, otherwise you can use GMan's mod on its own.

Thanks

-Mic

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#4]
I have a sid playing module (for ages, as it happens)... but it's un-released.
The problem with sid players is that most of them appear to be GPL.. but I did find one that wasn't... but it's a bit quirky, and I hadn't worked out the quirks.

mic_pringle(Posted 2010) [#5]
Brucey,

Sounds interesting, any chance of a release ?

Remind me again why you don't like working with GPL'd sources :-)

Thanks

-Mic

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#6]
Remind me again why you don't like working with GPL'd sources

Because as soon as you include GPL'd code, everything else you include must be GPL'd. (unless there are specific exceptions included with that code)

mic_pringle(Posted 2010) [#7]
If I contacted the author to see if he'd dual license SIDPLAY2 would you be prepared to take a look ?

I have a sid playing module (for ages, as it happens)... but it's un-released.
The problem with sid players is that most of them appear to be GPL.. but I did find one that wasn't... but it's a bit quirky, and I hadn't worked out the quirks.

Can you remember the name of the library you used so I can take a look ?

Thanks

-Mic

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#8]
Well, if it was LGPL, I'd probably have used it by now...

Can you remember the name of the library you used so I can take a look ?

Not off-hand... but it took me ages to track down the source for it.

mic_pringle(Posted 2010) [#9]
Okay then, I'll email the author and ask his thoughts :-)

In the meantime I'll see if I can track down the C sources to TinySID or keep an eye out until the site is restored and have a crack at that.

Or until you release the above, wink wink ;-)

The only problem I have with using TinySID is that the tracker I use to produce the music is GoatTracker, which is again based on SIDPLAY2. However, there are distinct sound differences between the two libraries (SIDPLAY2 & TinySID) even though they are based on the same chipset, which can lead to music produced using GoatTracker/SIDPLAY2 sounding great, but playing it back through TinySID doesn't sound at all as good and is much more raw sounding.

Thanks

-Mic

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#10]
Looks like it's a version of TinySID.
I wrote a BASS wrapper for it - to play on all three platforms.

Yes, I remember what you mean about the "raw" sound... it feels much less "post-processed" than SIDPLAY2.

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#11]
Of course, if you don't like BASS... you could always re-wrap it in something else :-)

mic_pringle(Posted 2010) [#12]
Any chance I could have a look at what you've done so far then since the TinySID homepage is still down so I'm still without access to the source ?

I'm happy with BASS at the moment because I've been playing around with your GME mod using BASS.

Also, did you ever get chance to have a look at my GME related question I posted sometime back ?

Thanks

-Mic