Wrapper automation question for Brucey?

BlitzMax Forums/Brucey's Modules/Wrapper automation question for Brucey?

Shortwind(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hey, have you written a program to help you automate the wrapper process when making these mods for Blitzmax? Or do you have to do everyone exclusively by hand?

Just wondered if a automated process was even possible at this stage...

I ask, because I'm wondering if it's possible to wrap the .NET framework into Blitzmax?

Thanks again for all your hard work,
Shortwind

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#2]
Just wondered if a automated process was even possible at this stage

I'm sure there's a way to do some automation, but I find that most of the libraries I wrap are implemented differently enough that in the end it is necessary to hand wrap a lot of it anyway.

I'm wondering if it's possible to wrap the .NET framework into Blitzmax?

If the library is big enough, I'm sure with some initial investment of time, you could work out some automated system.
I'm not sure how you might interface with .NET APIs though. You may require an intermediate DLL which exposes the functionality as C functions. - compiled by visual studio.

plash(Posted 2009) [#3]
If you want to use stuff in BlitzMax from .NET you might want to consider using Mono.
I've played around with a wrapper for Mono (the code for which can be found here - though I haven't used it for anything, so don't expect robustness), and that could possibly be a way to do whatever you want with CLI (and namely .NET) code, libraries, you name it.

Htbaa(Posted 2009) [#4]
For Lua there's a library called Alien which allows you to directly use a library written in some other language. Not sure how it all works and I must admit I've never looked at it. But it might help as some form of inspiration in case you'd like to automate this stuff.